Pulse generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

barista

Civil/Environmental
Apr 16, 2024
US
Hi there,

I would like to generate different pulses, both in terms of voltage and pulse duration. The "system" should be able to generate a pulse with a maximum of 80V and 40A, with a single pulse duration ranging from 20ms to 150ms. It should also be able to generate consecutive pulses with a preset gap.

As you probably noticed, I'm not highly skilled in electronics, so I'm looking for an off-the-shelf, reasonably priced solution (up to $1000).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

General Bussan CO., LTD offers a range of HV Pulsed Power Supplies and Switches. They have products that can achieve fast rise/fall times and are suitable for applications such as discharge devices. While they offer customization, the specifications and pricing would need to be discussed directly with the company to ensure they meet your requirements and budget.
Keysight provides a variety of pulse generators that cover a wide frequency range and output amplitude. Their equipment is known for high-quality signals and low intrinsic jitter. Although they may not list a product that exactly matches your specifications on their website, it could be worth reaching out to them for a potential solution that fits within your budget.

Such kind of power supplies is quite common for electroplating. Look for a "pulse plating power supply" and you may find something suitable for your application at reasonable cost.

Some assembly required. First, is this a one shot pulse with a long time between pulses. I pulse heating elements in water heaters and this isn't that hard if there is a time between pulses. Take any standard 80V 6A power supply and put a 6,000uf or more capacitor bank on it. Then drive a pair of FET with a signal generator. That could be as low as $10. I have a little portable scope with built in signal generator which would be handy in the development and use that cost maybe $130. It is all a matter of how nice you want it and what you are driving.

Do you still need a solution? 480W custom $2/W is not unreasonable. What load type is this Resistive, Capacitive or ?
With a 80/6 ~13 ohm load a 6,000 uF cap will discharge in 13*6m= 48 ms where it decays 63%. NG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back