Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pump Alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check out the publications by IPT Publishing & Training ( The have several, on various aspects of construction & maintenance for mechanical and electrical trades. The one with the specific information on alignment will be the "Rotating Equipment Handbook".

These are small, inexpensive soft-cover books that cover a huge range of topics. I originally just bought two - "Pipe Trades" and "Metal Trades". I was so impressed that I ordered the others. IPT is out of Edmonton Alberta, and these are trades training and reference books that are very much aimed at the huge oil and gas industry there. They apply very nicely to general industrial applications as well.

API Recommended Practice 686 is a good resource for equipment installation in general, including detailed alignment procedures for rotating equipment, everything from initial grouting to hot alignment. It goes a little overboard in places, depending on the application, but I've been on projects before where it was used for installation procedures for all equipment in a new $300M+ refinery.

dross56,

It is always helpful to know as much as possible about the various aspects of pump installation. However, as MortenA suggested, always refer to the pump manufacturers "Installation, Operation and Maintenance" (IOM) Manual. This document is specific to your pump and should be followed as far as possible. Use other publications as supplemental information, which can augment the information provided by the manufacturer.

Thank you all for your responses. Now so you don't all think I'm a idiot, let me explain the question. I am an inspector and was asked to look at a pump alignment in process. The question was meant to be very broad based and not in regard to a particular type or make of pump. I will look in the API standard as well as checking on some of the other recommended publications.

Again, thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back