PUMP & INSTRUMENTS ON HAZARDOUS AREA

Status
Not open for further replies.

virata

Mechanical
Jun 30, 2012
PH
Hi guys,

I have an ATEX-rated air operated double diaphragm pump including the air filter regulator and PSV. On the area classification plot plan, it is shown that it is under Cl 1, Div 2. My AODD is fine I believe since it is ATEX rated already. How about the instruments included in this equipment? Is there any such provisions for regulators and relief valves that they can be designed according to this area class? Or is it fine not considering area class for instruments?

PS: These PSV and filter regulator will be on the air line side of the pump.

Thank you in advance,
Virata.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You only need to look at "instruments" which have some sort of electrical power, unless it is intrinsically safe.

Spring relief valves without sensors are Ok, it then depends on what sensors or controllers you have on the "regulator". Some are wholly pneumatic or self contained, others have 24V sensors and controllers. they need to be suitably certified for the area you are located.

you really need to get this reviewed by a suitable instrument and electrical engineer.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Absolutely right Bimr, both electrical and mechanical equipment within a hazardous area needs to be assessed under the ATEX Directive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back