Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pump design

Status
Not open for further replies.

kchiguvari

Mechanical
May 14, 2003
ZW
i am working on a project on improving boiler efficiency by increasing the rate of return of condensate water.
the dimensions that i have are
Max hieght of pipe from pump to hotwell =8.23m
diameter of pipe = 2.44''
length of pipe = 120m
what would be the right size of pump.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i am working on a project on improving boiler efficiency by increasing the rate of return of condensate water.
the dimensions that i have are
Max hieght of pipe from pump to hotwell =8.23m
diameter of pipe = 2.44''
length of pipe = 120m
what would be the right size of pump
the exit pressure is atmospheric
and the flow rate is 20 cubic meters per hour

8.23m liquid height is equivalent to .823 barg at pump exit (you should include a safety margin, so assume 1 barg; you also need to overcome piping pressure drop).
with your flow rate and the needed exit pressure (convert to meters liquid height for convenience) you can check pump manufacturers data sheets to find the correct pump; with the pump curve provided by most manufacturers you get the pump efficiency as well as the needed power at the shaft. this is basically all you need.

Kchivgurai, I haven't the faintest idea what you are asking.

The exit pressure on the pump is atmospheric for a condensate recovery pump? I doubt that very much. You are going to be pumping this back to somewhere, there's no head or line losses to consider?

2.44" is what dimension on the pipe? It's not the OD or ID of any typical pipe that I'm familar with (it's close to 2 1/2" sch 40 but I've never seen 2 1/2" pipe actually used).

To spec out the process conditions for the pump you need to estimate the volume to be handled, that's your 20 m3/hr I assume. You need to supply the inlet conditions (pressure and temperature and therefore NPSHA) to the pump. You need to do the hydraulics on the discharge line including your control valve, if any, to estimate the pressure the pump needs to be able to put out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back