Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

pump selection between Vertical Turbine (VT) and Mixed Flow Vertical (MV) pump for Raw water pumping 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

struct4me

Civil/Environmental
Feb 4, 2013
IN
Would like to know the selection criteria? Mine is having discharge of 1 m3/s and Pump head in the range of 300 m. The length of the raising main in the range of 30-40km.
looking for your answers...

Raj

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does it meet the duty?

What power does it use to do the duty?

How much does it cost?

That's a pretty big pump though (about 4MW by my reckoning).

So even a small difference in efficiency is going to make a big difference to your OPEX.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Mixed flow pumps are commonly used in agriculture, construction, water treatment, HVAC and fire protection. They are suitable for applications where large volumes of water must be moved at low pressures.

Mixed Flow Pump

Your application is outside the application range for a mixed flow vertical pump.

Time to employ an experienced pump / system design designer, it's way beyond trying to use a free website for answers.
Give a bit more information and at least you might get a few ideas as how to best approach this application.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

That's a lot of eggs in one basket.
Maybe you would want to use multiple pumps.
I'm thinking of at least 2, maybe 4.
If the system goes down, is there any alternative?

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back