Pump/Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

garciaf

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2016
NI
Here is my issued:
I have a Engine that is coupled to a pump (Power of engine supposed is 100 HP/ Pump1 is 80 HP)
Now, I want to install a second pump (Pump2) next to Pump1.
My question is I can transmit power to the pump 2 that have 10 HP, with this engine of 100HP
Note: the pump2 does not exist is a propose, that´s why I want to know if it is possible.
Thank you for your time.
See image attach

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=117536d6-c3d5-4e30-b448-9cb0881ff105&file=Sin_título.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In theory yes it is feasible, how it's engineered is the main concern.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Engines do this all the time. Farm tractors have built-in, standardized power takeoffs. Look at any auto engine and see how many devices are powered by the engine besides the drive train: pumps, alternators, fans...

Power is immutable. If the power is there, it can be used.

I see the greatest challenge as getting RPM to where you need it. Shouldn't be difficult with the right chain or belt drives.

The only time that I did this we drove a hydraulic pump off of the engine and then used the high pressure hydraulic fluid to drive the small secondary pump. This gave us flexibility in placement and ease of control. We used a variable displacement hyd pump so when there was no pumping there was no (almost) engine load.
If it had been planed from the start we would have bought a gearbox with an aux output shaft on it.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

How is pump 1 presently "coupled" to the drive motor?
Well annotated Pictures and drawing please.

I wonder if pump 1 and pump 2 input shafts are rated for 1000 lb radial load, as might be exerted by a belt drive.
And are long enough to accomadate the sheave pulley.

Both pumps then always need to be working at the same time. Is that a problem?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I can see this being both an alignment and startup nightmare..... and ATTENTION ALL MBAs !.... It will not be cheap

I agree with Tmoose ....

How does the existing engine configuration come up to speed and then engage the pump ?.... Is there a clutch to allow the engine to come up to power Then engage the pump ?..... Did you forget to tell us this ?

I am assuming that you do not have electric power. (But, again we are guessing here)... Motor driven pumps are cheapest and best

Used Diesel and gasoline engines are cheap.... get another one with a clutch to drive your second pump

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

As a retrofit -

Possible - Yes,
Practical - no
Cheap - No
Operation & maintenance issues - high

other options
Drive a generator and then add electric motors
Same with a fluid drive
buy a smaller motor and attach it to your 2nd pump

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I've used such an arrangement on a farm. Pump 1 was direct drive from a fluid coupling (to be honest, an automotive torque converter) on the engine, and pump 2 was driven by a poly V belt from the front of pump 1 with a pillow block bearing. Alternatively use a B section V belt. V belts are more tolerant of misalignment, polyVs have amazing torque capacity.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back