Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pump with a 20inches suction dia. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

pump23

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2012
IN
I need to calculate the ALLowable nozzle loads for an axially split case pump with suction dia 20 inches. It is designed according to ANSI standards. Standard for calculating the allowable nozzle loads is ANSI/HI 9.6.2 (Rotodynamics Pumps) but in this standard table for maximum nozzle loads contains load values upto 10 inches dia only.

How Do I calculate loads now? Is there any formula for interpolation of these loads?

One more thing is that it is written that the loads also depends upon the wallthickness of the pump(obvious) but in the standard while calculating allowable loads, wall thickness of the pump is not considered.

Can anyone help?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dubmac,

You may have been screwing the pipers, but it's all dosh in the bank for us stress engineers, so thanks for your efforts on our behalf.

thank you 1gibson, Biginch and Pumpsonly for such helpfull replies.

1gibson- sorry, didnt want to hurt your feelings but I am still not getting the sign conventions used in ANSI 9.6.2. What I think is that several assumptions were made in ANSI 9.6.2.
Yeah API 610 was a big help for future though.

I was kidding about hurting my feelings, just remember people will probably see both posts. Please consider my advice on more accurate questions, including the reasons for asking (desired result, what you will do with the information from any responses.)

Now if you'll excuse me, since the cat is out of the bag, I need to figure out something to do with this surplus of tin foil.

Hats are good.

"People will work for you with blood and sweat and tears if they work for what they believe in......" - Simon Sinek

BigInch, you are right about pump manufacturers cutting down on allowables to be conservative and build lighter (less costly of course) and, consequently weaker pumps.

Just want to share something with you. It seems (I presume) that the majority of your experience was in the Oil&Gas Industry. If you had to deal with the Boiler Feed Pump discharge piping in a huge Supercritical Power Plant (just to bring you closer to the picture: we are are talking about 16~20 inch class-4500 piping with a design pressure of about 320 bars = 4641 psi and design temperatures of about 360 deg.C = 680 deg.F). That's a "bull-dog" kind of piping (super-stiff). To get down to the traditional API 610 values for a 16~20 inch pipe with this "bull-dog", you will need tremendous amount of flexibility ending up with an odd-looking layout that's never been seen before in any Power Plant. That is why we need to work with real numbers that work with real configurations. A minimum of 4 or maybe 5 times API 610 is just about enough to make a reasonable layout work, so dont be surprised [bigsmile].

C2it...I've "starred" you because you are absolutely right when you stated "A better designed pump and base plate will save potentially a huge amount on piping required just for nozzle load load related flexibility, with attendant reductions in space and weight."

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back