Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PWHT Sect. VIII Div. I

Status
Not open for further replies.

glrsbmiqc

Industrial
Jul 1, 2009
US
I need to attach some temporary lugs (push-pull) to a section of the vessel that has been heat treated. The lugs will be of P-1 material and attached by 3/8" fillet weld, the shell is P-1 material with a 1" thickness.
I don't see anything in sect. VIII that gives me a out to having to PWHT these areas. Am I missing something?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is your governing nominal thickness as defined in UW-40(f)? REF: UCS-56(a)

Is postweld heat treatment a service requirement as set forth in UCS-68? REF: UCS-56(a)

What does your AI say?

FAQ731-376

ASME Section VIII, Div. 1, 2007 (2008 Addenda), Table UCS-56 for P1 materials,

"Notes:
(2)(c)for welded joints of all thickness if required b UW-2, except postweld heat treatment is not mandatory under the conditions specified below:

(3) for groove welds not over 1/2" (13mm) in size or fillet welds with a throat thickness of 1/2" (13mm) or less used for attaching nonpressure parts to pressure parts provided preheat to aminimum temperature of 200F (95C) is applied when the thickness of the pressure part exceeds 1 1/4" (32mm)."

I would recommend still preheating the base metal even though the thickness you indicate is only 1".

No, you are not missing anything. The fillets attaching the lugs are strength welds and PWHT is a requirement because you are attaching lugs to a shell made of plate, the exemptions provided in Table UCS-56 Note 2, for P-4 materials applies to pipe or tube materials.
I have not looked/searched for Code Cases (alternatives), but I do not expect there to be any....

FAQ731-376

you are probably okay if your AI authorizes it.
Show the AI that you will meet the pre-heat requirements.
some inspectors will not help you but the Code allows it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back