Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PWHT technical resources (course / notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wontweldcantweld

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2015
GB
Hello all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any useful resources or literature on PWHT they would be able to share?

It's not for anything specific, rather to educate myself and some of the other Engineers I work with.

I've got a pretty good understanding of PWHT and why it's undertaken but would like to educate myself further.

I'm looking for technical notes that explain the principles of PWHT, how the soak times and temperatures should be calculated etc., or even if there are any online courses available.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks weldstan, certainly looks like that could help!

However, whilst at the very reasonable price of only £275.00, would you happen to know of any online or free resources?

*Note I will still look into getting a copy, it just would be good to have a digital copy or notes I can present.

Thomas Eagar (prof @ mit) has a good youtube channel with all kinds of shit, including welding engineering. Whole courses. Here's one on welding engineering:

Other ideas:
Do you have access to any ASME boiler & pressure vessel codes? ASME Section 1, for example.

These codes are pretty dry to read, but they can help you get a glimpse into the more practical aspects of PWHT:
[ul]
[li]Which alloys require PWHT, which don't, and which have situational needs for PWHT?[/li]
[li]What are the soak times and temps for a given alloy group?[/li]
[li]How do you go about setting up a localized PWHT?[/li]
[li]What parameters are monitored during the PWHT?[/li]
[/ul]

Now, these codes won't give you deeper insight into the metallurgy. That kind of info tends to be specific to the alloy in question, and ties in very closely with what the design needs to accomplish.

There are some practical guidelines that need to be followed which are not immediately obvious. Most of these guuidelines are in the code AWS D-10 and some papers by the commercial outfit Superheat. These include the need to locate the monitoring thermocouples as close to the weld line as possible and limiting the rate of increase in metal temperature ( which includes correlating that rate to the distance between the thremocouples and the weld line) . Superheat has shown that a fast ramp up in metal temperature without such consideration may lead to exceeding the first or second critical temperature of the base metal near the weld line ; the allowable rate of change of metal temperature is rougly proportional to the inverse of the square of the distance between the monitoring thermocouple and the weld line . <

"...when logic, and proportion, have fallen, sloppy dead..." Grace Slick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back