Qualification of WPS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elyaas

Mechanical
Jan 20, 2013
SA
Hi Gentlemen,

I am into the Inspection industry, doing WQT and PQR jobs. Can there be different PQR's be considered as supporting document for qualifying a new WPS. The WPS is for cold repair welding on Inconel overlay without PWHT. Base material used is AISI 4130. The process used is GTAW/Manual. The welding process used in the supporting PQR's are (i) SMAW/manual (ii) SAW/machine.

Kindly give suggestions and share your experiences.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

elyaas,
I am sorry if this sounds rude but what on earth are you doing getting involved with an exotic material (that is not the cheapest or easiest thing to weld)when you have very limited knowledge of PQR/WPSs - asking questions to learn is great but what you are discussing should be handled by a Welding Engineer, not a newbie to the industry.
In answer to your question - if your PQRs are for SMAW and SAW then you most definitely cannot write a WPS for GTAW,
Regards,
Kiwi

As Kiwi2671 stated, you must qualify a new welding procedure with the GTAW process. If you weld into the 4130 base metal, you will need to qualify a Corrosion Resistant Weld Overlay procedure.

These questions indicate you are in over your head.

Your employer needs to hire someone that understands how a WPS is qualified and who has a working knowledge of the specific code you are working with. You can learn from the expert while he does the work.

Are you developing the welding procedures as in-house QC or are you reviewing the documentation as a third party inspector?

Best regards - Al

Hi Elyaas,

What I understood from question: You already have a WPS with supporting PQRs which is for Inconel overlay welding. The process used in the overlay welding is SMAW + SAW. You now want to qualify a new procedure for cold weld repair using GTAW Process. As clarified by others, you need to qualify a new procedure for this welding.

I am qualifying a similar procedure for a Client and will be doing the following:

Perform overlay welding on the base metal using already available overlay procedure using SMAW process.
Post weld heat treat the welded coupon
Machine the overlay welding to leave behind a 2 mm layer.
Perform overlay welding on the existing 2 mm layer using GTAW process.
Do the necessary testing on the coupon as required by ASME IX and Client Specifications. In my case that would be:
LPI on surface
Four Side Bend Tests Perpendicular to the direction of welding
Charpy Impact Test - 3 sets of 3 specimen (Base metal, Base metal + 3.2 mm overlay welding, weld metal)
Tensile test - 3 sets of 2 speciment (Base metal, Base metal + 3.2 mm overlay welding, weld metal)
Chemical analysis taken at 3.2 mm from fusion line
Hardness survey (Vickers 10 Kgf) as per NACE MR 0175

I hope this will be helpful for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back