Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

query about S9R5 shell elements in explicit solver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinni1

Civil/Environmental
Sep 27, 2021
IE
Hello,

I am performing a post-buckling analysis of cold-formed steel studs and track section assembly.
Since the solution is highly non-linear the implicit solver is not working for me and I had to adopt the explicit solver.
For cold-formed steel, the S9R5 elements have some added advantages hence I tried to use them.
But I got an error message that the S9R5 elements are not supported by Abaqus explicit solver.

Could anyone advise if there is any way by which I could use the S9R5 elements with the explicit solver?

Many thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unfortunately, Abaqus/Explicit has less extensive element library and you have to change your element type to the closest one supported in this solver.

S8R5 is also available only in Abaqus/Standard. Check the documentation chapter "Three-Dimensional Conventional Shell Element Library". There you will notice a small superscript at the end of the name of each element type. It's either (S) for Standard or (E) for Explicit. If there's no superscript then the element is available in both solvers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back