Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about Bridge Design Software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JiaJia

Structural
Apr 18, 2005
US
Any recommendations for Bridge Design Software?

I wish it could have the following features:

1. support AASHTO LRFD
2. can model different structural sections, including plank beams.
3. moving load analysis

Thank you very much!
^_^

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ok, so far no reply. :(

Anyway, I did some research myself, hope it will be helpful.

MDX:
quite popular, support AASHTO LRFD, though seems only can model steel bridges.

Conspan (LEAP company):
precast/prestressed bridge beam analysis and design, support AASHTO LRFD, seems easy to use, though my coworker find some mistakes from the LEAP bridge design book.

SAP2000:
add bridge feature, support AASHTO LRFDonly deal with severl kind of bridge section.

STAAD:
support AASHTO 2000 Standards

LARSA:
support AASHTO LRFD

GT STRURL:
Not support AASHTO LRFD

LUSAS:
from UK company, can handle all types of bridge, support AASHTO LRFD

MIDAS/Civil:
from Korea company, US distubutor is Imbsen Software Systems, 90days trial version, seems a very powerful bridge design software, support AASHTO LRFD, support many kind of bridge sections.

SAFI:
Not support AASHTO LRFD, use CAN/CSA S6-2000 code

WinBDS:
Accepted by Caltrans, support AASHTO

PSbeam:
support AASHTO LRFD

Above summary was based on my knowledge and reserch, not very sure if they are all correct. I only want to share what I got. Thanks.

Some further questions:
Anybody has the experience of using CONSPAN, MIDAS, LUSAS, LARSA and PSbeam? which one is better? Especially experience about MIDAS, I am quite interested in it. Thank you very much!

JiaJia

JiaJia,

Did you look at BRASS / AASHTOWARE (OPIS)? OPIS utilizes the Brass Engine but has a better interface than BRASS and is current whith AASHTO LRFD 2004.

I have only worked with OPIS, BRASS Girder LRFD and BRASS Culvert. I have started evaluating BRASS Pier LRFD however this is currently only a BETA version. There are other BRASS programs available through the Wyoming DOT at the following web address:

I hope this helps.

Have you tried DESCUS? Supposidly this is a good program for curved bridges.

Thank you very much, Andy10.

I just searched internet and got some information about OPIS for AASHTOWare website.

However, I got a question. Do you know whether OPIS can handle prestress planks? Their website only mentioned about prestress concrete box and I-beam.

Thanks again for your valuable reply. :)

JiaJia,

I'm not sure what you mean by prestressed planks.

The Box beam,I-beam, T-beam or U-beam have variable dimentions that you enter to difine the main structural system. Would a box beam without the void work for your prestressed plank situation?

Opis does not do deck design if your prestressed planks are used as deck pannels.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Thank you, Andy.

Yes, I was asking whether OPIS could handle non-voided rectangular beams. It is good that OPIS can do it.

Thanks again for your help and Have a good weekend!

Hi, there:

I finally got Opis trial version. However, since I don't have any experience about Opis or BRASS (The help menu are talking a lot of BRASS too), I feel really confused about how to evaluate this software. That's why I come back here and try to find some help.

1. Seems that Opis is a Database kind of software, isn't it?Doing a good job of code-checking, but is quite different from SAP or Lucas, is that true?

2. Could we observe model while inputting member data like SAP or other finite element program?

3. Could Opis do a frame analysis? or it is only for superstructure, and moment from substructure could not be included in cal.

Thank you for your attention. and I am looking forward to your input.

JiaJia,

Opis is basically (in my opinion) a better front end for Brass. Opis utilizes the Brass "engine" (program) to do the analysis but it displays it better both input and output which helps in evaluating you model input and results. (Brass you have to go through reams of output to verify the results).

1) Opis relies on a Database for it to work. It is part of AASHTOWARE family of programs which includes: Pontis, Virtis and Opis (maybe something else). All these programs share the same database with Pontis being a Bridge Management Aplication. As for it being different than SAAP or Lucas, yes it is different. It is not a true structural analysis or finite element type of program. Opis as well as BRASS is specifically for the more common bridge types which you typically encounter and not for cable-stay or other more complicated type structures which STAAD, SAAP, or other more general Analysis programs would be better suited. Opis and Brass are very different than SAAP or Lucas.

2)Observing model input is not that good. Brass doesn't show anything so you must be very careful with your input. Opis does give you a graphical representation of your model such as diaphragm layouts, span layouts, stirrup spacings, travel lane loacations..highlight what you want to review such as Sturcutre Typical Section, Framing Plan Detal, etc and the "view schematic" button on the toolbar will be available. Click this button and you will see the schematic. Opis is not as graphical (model representation) as SAAP or other Structural Analisis programs.

3) Regarding frame analysis, I do not know. I have not tried this yet. I believe Brass can perform a frame analysis but I would have to check and search the manuals. Opis may our may not be able to even if Brass can. You can always contact AASHTOWARE - Bakerprojects.

I am not that familiar with SAAP (just played with it a bit) and Lucas not at all. I use STAAD.Pro for my structural analysis and I assume that SAAP and Lucas are similar. My utilization of STAAD is primarily for Analysis only and not code checking so I do not use it to its potential.

I hope my 2cents helps.

Hi, Andy:

Thank you very much for your valuable input. It gave me a better idea of what Opis is. I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back