Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about forming Ti 6-6-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WMC

Aerospace
Jun 24, 2002
US
I need to form a 36" radius in 1" wide x .125" thick Ti 6-6-2 sheet, STA condition. My plan is to nail it down onto a form tool made of 310 (UNS S31000) and run the whole thing through an aging/stress relief cycle (1100 deg F, 4 hours). This should (in theory) relax 90%+ of the stress and allow the part to take the form, but I would love to hear from anyone who has actually done something similar.
Thanks, John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't have experience forming that material but 36" radius is huge. How long is your strip of material? How much of an arc do you want to end up with? What accuracy for the start and end of the bend is necesary? Have you thought about just putting this through some rollers a few times?

This stuff is just about impossible to form in the STA condition. It's got more memory than 6-4, and runs about 180 ksi. I could put it through rolls (with severe overbend, like a 9" radius to get 36"), but it would be dead straight again the next day. Wicked material indeed!

Thanks, John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back