Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about Sealing Dwgs

Status
Not open for further replies.

stores99

Civil/Environmental
Jan 25, 2008
I do calcs for a manufacturing company and we let customers know what system or member size of our product are adequate. I'm an EIT, not a PE. I had a customer ask me to clarify something because the engineer sealing her drawings had questions. I answered the questions and fixed an error I found (minor, numbers were off but it didn't change the selection) and then read what the engineer wrote - he asked "Please send back additional info to confirm these sizes are satisfactory...once this (is) checked, (company) can sign and seal."

Shouldn't he be running the calcs himself if he intends to seal it, rather than relying on what I've sent to a customer? We make it clear on our end that we aren't PE's and that if they need sealed calcs, they should do that before ordering.

Thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are selling a part that goes in a larger product or design.

Sounds kind of like Simpson that sells wood connectors. They give the engineer all the tested values for their products. It is up to the EOR to use them correctly in his/her design. Simpson does not seal anything that I am aware of.

I run across similair problems at my job. In many cases it depends on how the specifications are written. A problem I've run into is where the specifications require the work to be done by or under the supervision of a registered engineer.

I've done work like that where the company I work for has taken the position that the specifications don't require the work to be sealed. I've nevered agreed with that position because I don't know how you establish that the work has been done by or under a P.E., unless the P.E. seals the drawings.

I'm not sure I follow all of the parties involved here...

My understanding from the OP is that the EOR requested clarifications or revisions on a submission. The EOR then asked that the company sign and seal them. By that, I would assume he or she means the company you work for, or a PE hired by your company, is to sign and seal the design.

Information on what the spec requirements are may shed some light on the design responsibility.

Two thoughts. One is that if you're an EIT, that implies you're "in training" under a PE and that PE should be able to seal your calcs if need be.

Secondly, the issue of who stamps what can't be entirely fixed by agreement between the parties. Your state engineering rules come into play as well, and may require a PE for the application regardless of what your customers ask for or what you quote.

Whenever I've been asked to provide data or calculations for another engineer to seal, I'm usually quite happy to oblige, along with a covering letter noting that their review of the design is appreciated (also have done this with plan examiners)... helps share the liability.

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back