Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

question about weldability of API 5L X52 vs API 5L Gr B 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vargaslu

Petroleum
Oct 26, 2009
VE
Good morning,
want to ask the following: What considerations should be taken into account for welding pipelines API 5L X52 (OD Ø6,625", SCH STD e=0,280) with API 5L Grade B (OD Ø6,625", SCH STD e=0,280)?
if there is a post with the same question or similar, please send me the URL.
Regards.
LV

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Clients will often have specific welding procedures that must be followed. If not, you can create your own - with the most critical parameter usually being the Carbon Equivalency of each pipe from my experience.

Ensure that the weld procedure you use meet code requirements. Other than that, welding X52 to GrB should be straight forward.

Use a welding procedure based upon X52 for code compluance. Hopefully the WPS was qualified on X60 as your production material may be sual grade X52/X60.

I should have explained the above better. The rason for qualifying on X60 is that X52 is in the >42,000 YS to < 65,000 YS group per API 1104 5.4.2.2. I've seen procedures qualified on X46 and X56, the latter accpetable for your application, but ultimately causes a problem for welding X60.

Per API 1104 5.4.2.2 "When welding materials of two separate material groups, the
procedure for the higher strength group shall be used".

Also, per API 1104 5.3.2.2 "The materials to which the procedure applies shall be identified. API Spec 5L pipe, as well as materials that conform to acceptable ASTM specifications, may be grouped (see 5.4.2.2), provided that the qualification test is made on the material with the highest specified minimum yield strength in the group."

If I am understanding your question, the WPS will have to be based on the higher material yield strength group using the clause cited in my earlier post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back