Question about year end review 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveZR2

Mechanical
Aug 6, 2008
US
Hi all,

Have my review coming up and my manager is asking me to be prepared to discuss my plan to educate/develop myself personally (as opposed to professionally). What do you imagine that he's looking for? Seems like a work review doesn't really need to touch on my personal life.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A friend of mine whose career trajectory has not flatlined once observed that most engineers are good at engineering, and bad at communicating. I cannot see any downside from asking for a clarification, as zdas suggested, in fact it might do some good, as it shows you are taking it seriously.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

I agree with zdas that some people may be over-reacting. While I agree that in certain instances personal should stay out of the professional arena, and vice-versa. However, there is a large "grey area" that arises, especially if you spend personal time with co-workers. Take a much more blantant example where the boss may have said:

"There's a rumor that a management position may be opening up that I think you'd be good at, but don't know if I can convince the others that have a say in who is hired/promoted. What kind-of ammo can you give me for selling them putting you in this position?"

While this situation may show favoritism and not be completely professional, I don't think many people would see this as "the man" screwing "the little guy." If you take the example I gave, become more vague about what sort of personal activities you are looking for, and leave out why you want to know, it starts to look very much like what the OP asked about.

I think you should ask for clarification. Then you will know if you should spend your time coming up with an in-depth response accompanied by a Powerpoint presentation, or if you should tell him that it's none of his business.

-- MechEng2005

Surely a plan to educate/develop yourself personally means that they want to know if you will get more qualifications at your own personal expense as they won't pay. It all depends on the definition of 'personally'. If you do intend to educate yourself that would be of benefit to the company (ie. not cookery classes, unless you're a chef), then it'd be reasonable for them to contribute in some way, either monetarily or time to study.

Tata

If you're unsure about what the customer wants, the best solution is to ask for clarification, not waste time on a random assumption of what the customer wants.

You're unclear on what the customer (your boss) wants in regards to this question. So ask. "what exactly do you mean by personal development? Dance classes, or management courses? I just want to be clear what you're asking"

True story...

Once upon a time, I worked at a company in which I declined to go to a golf tournament, because I don't golf. Then, just prior to Christmas time, I did not accept the invitation to the Christmas party because my wife had made plans for that particular day / evening. My boss came to my workstation and said:

"It is important to your career development that you attend company functions like golf tournaments and Christmas parties. Management needs to know the kind of man that you are and the kind of woman that you marry, because it has an impact on your promotability. That said, will you be attending the Christmas party this year?"

My response:

"No. I am the kind of man, married to the kind of woman, who prefers to spend Christmas and days off with people I actually like."

I wasn't promoted. But, at least I didn't simply cower and comply, and I had the guts to call them on their complete, out-of-line stupidity.

Work is work. Leisure is leisure. Unless one has an adverse impact on the other, it's nobody's business but your own.

Regards,

SNORGY.

Snorgy, you wouldn't want to be promoted in such an organization anyway, would you?!

Who you've married and what you do in your leisure time, as long as it's not illegal, is none of their f*ing business.

How you relate to your co-workers is of course material to your business performance.

There's a huge difference between being a private person who makes a clean break between their personal and professional life, and being a borderline sociopath who doesn't communicate with anyone unless absolutely necessary (and does it poorly even then). In my experience, the latter make very poor employees/co-workers, and you always worry whether or not they're going to "go postal" when you finally have to fire them!

Back to the OP: ask the boss what they meant by their question. Never hurts to ask, rather than asking us to jump to conclusions for you!

I think it's been said above. We are all good engineers, yet only a few of us have suggested going to the boss for a clarification. My boss knows I love my sports and as such when some clients come into town he gets tickets to a game for us. It doesn't happen often, but it sure would suck if I hated Baseball/Football etc.

drawn to design, designed to draw

I have to say that if I owned a company and I was looking to promote people to position in which they were to take over part of my business I would want to know what they are like outside of work. While it is easy to say I’ve done my job well that should be enough, if it were the business owner would you like to know if this energetic engineer can handle client contact outside of a work environment? Most people find this easy to assess at Christmas parties and social functions.

As such if they have noticed that your lack the “soft skills” to handle the next promotion then maybe some soft skill training would help. I am currently doing some “soft skills” training as I have noticed that I failed to pick up some of the required minor points that are used during conversations.

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field

Fair enough, rowingengineer.

At the time I made my statements re: Christmas parties, I was an EIT. I wasn't going to be a business partner with anyone any time soon...

That said, in the context of what you describe, your point has validity. I would view things the same way, but I would also let the candidate know what I was thinking and why. I would start with a question like:

"Would you see yourself being interested in a career path that leads you towards a position of partnership or as an officer within this firm?"

Then suddenly things can be expected to become relevant, instead of a bit off-the-wall.

Regards,

SNORGY.

There are better and subtle ways to judge someone's personality than asking as a formal question in a review process!!

And even if someone says, you should do this and that so that "someday" you may become a principal or a VP- Do not buy it. It usually means that we want you to act like one in front of clients but we won't be paying you as much.

If you have in you to become a principal, VP or an Owner, you do not need employers help, you will become one, one way or another.

Rafiq Bulsara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back