Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

question for former UG/NX users

Status
Not open for further replies.

raysapp

Aerospace
Aug 26, 2009
US
I'm new to solidworks and I'm looking for something comparable to "wavelinking". In short I'm looking to trim one solid component to another by editing the one inside a sldasm file, top down style as it were. Another way of putting it I guess would be to say I'm looking to create an associative interpart link.
Thanks
Ray

Ray S
NX 7.0.1.7

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Open the assy
Put the part to be cut into Edit Part mode
Select the relevant surfaces of the "cutting" part and create an Offset Surface with an offset of zero.
Use that surface in the Cut with Surface tool to remove the required volume
Exit the Edit Part mode and save.

Mr Limey,
Actually, I had already tried to do exactly that, but when I selected the cut surface, I would get the following:"Cannot use selection. Allowing this selection would have created conflicts of contexts as mentioned earlier". "Mentioned earlier"? Actually it was, but I missed it the first time. When I tried to edit the component, I got this:"This part has features defined in the context of another assembly <fan_assy.sldasm>. You can edit the part, but cannot create any external references to the components of the current assembly." Actually there isn't another assembly, I had simply renamed the sldasm file from <fan_assy> to <Ace_92_fan_assy>. Because it's not being used as a source file anywhere else, I thought I was free to do that. Guess not. Changed it back to original name and the cut worked fine.

Ray S
NX 7.0.1.7

You can't just rename an assembly when there are in-context references. Those refs still look for the old assy file. You can allow multiple refs in tools|options|external references(quick), or you can edit the part features and redo the external refs(slow).
In the future you might want to do a "pack and go" to a new name or directory instead of renaming an assembly.

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2011 SP 2.0
HP Pavillion Elite HPE
W7 Pro, Nvidia Quaddro FX580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back