Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quonset with glu-lam ribs in Alberta

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliealphabravo

Structural
May 7, 2003
US
I am looking for design specifications for a wood quonset that was built 30 or 40 years ago (about 1975) in central Alberta. It has 2x6 glulam ribs and plywood sheathing. The ridge peak comes to a slight point and is not the usual round profile.

I am wondering what the snow load capacity might be and if the original design assumed that snow would slide off. I am also wondering if it was usual to use asphalt shingles or if the original roof might have been smoother to allow more effective snow shedding. I think the minimum roof pitch might just be 2:12 so perhaps shingles were acceptable.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks guys,
The building is 60'Lx40'Wx18'H. The ribs are 2x6 glulams at a 24" spacing. There are plywood gussets at the ridge. Plywood sheathing on the ceiling makes it hard to tell if there are 1 or 2 similar joints along each side of the ridge but it looks like it is probably a 3 hinged arch.
Thanks again.

Is there no identifying name plate anywhere on the building ? Not too many companies left that make these and likely the manufacturer of that building is out of business unless it is western archrib.

Bob
MBC International
Pre-engineered Building Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back