Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Cannot open the file" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMan51

Automotive
Feb 8, 2007
US
I am having trouble opening a part file. When I attempt to open the file I get the incident report: "cannot open the file:/cad/users/myname/CATTTempR18_customer/CNext01.roll/DOC4.CATPart". I have no idea what this DOC4 item is. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You're not giving a lot of info to go on... Have you opened this part successfully earlier? Are you sure it was saved with the same Release as the one you're using now? (R18?) Can you explain a little more about the circumstances around this problem? (Provided you still need help that is...)

There is not much else to tell Cbunes. I am currently using release 18. Everything was saved in release 18. When I encounter this error I need to get all of the way out of Catia to open the part file. I attempted to locate the DOC4 file to try to delete it but was unable to find it.
Again, thanks for any help you can give.

DOC4 is the CATDUA error code for ghost links. Try running catdua on it, if that don't help open it in an assembly and on the instance level right click and choose componenets/define contextual links (even if there are no links this can help clean up the ghost links)

Is the doc4.catpart your part (the one you're trying to open), or is it something that is linked (or has been linked) to the part? If you restart CATIA then try reopen the part, will it then allow you to open it, or is it still the same problem?

I've never seen the doc4.catpart file in any of my errors, so I'm just going to have to try get a clearer picture of what's really happening...

-----------------------
Christian Bunes

CBunes,
Apparently the DOC4 file is linked to my file. I am not sure how it got linked. I agree with Azrael that it may be a ghost link. Azrael, thanks for your suggestion. I will give it a try and get back with you.

If you got your file open you can also check links with Edit > Links..., or with File > Desk...

You can isolate parts and kill links to documents that shouldn't be there too.

For more info on the CATDUA return codes, take a look at this: Be wary of Priority Level 1 codes as these may lead to data deletion.

-----------------------
Christian Bunes

The /CNext01.roll/DOC4.CATPart bit comes from an incremental or auto backup. The directory you listed is where Catia stores in-process backup files. You can see those files in the directory while your session is active. When you exit Catia correctly, those files are all deleted. If you exit Catia incorrectly, i.e. it crashes, those files will be left there to potentially create a warm start. The files are named DOC1.CATPart, DOC2.CATProduct, etc.

In your case, it appears that a file ended up with a link (incorrectly I imagine) to a temporary backup file, that then clearly got deleted.

I don't know how then to solve your problem, but perhaps this information will point you in the right direction. More work with CATDUA is my best guess. I'm not quite an expert, but this is what I have seen in my experience.

Cheers,
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back