Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

"Form should follow function" 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MintJulep,

The Wikipedia article was very interesting.

I followed the link on Victor Papanek, because I have read a couple of his books. In one of books, he discussed his $9 TV set. There were all sorts of explanations on how some third world type could build the cabinet of the TV using locally availble materials. No where did he explain how these natives were going to build the tube.

In one of his books, he did make a cute, smart-ass remark about tables that made you want to lie down on them and have your appendix taken out.

Critter.gif
JHG

In my first semester of General Engineering (Frosh year) at the UW back in 1966, I remember seeing a poster with that saying on the bottom.

The image was permanently burned into my brain - not the saying, just the image - of a babe in a bikini. Engineering has not been the same since.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

It's what separates engineers from the architects. The rare engineer will include compelling details that work into the functions as well as esthetics.

DB Steinman, eminent bridge designer and builder, had signature details that were unmistakable. He combined the stiffening truss into the suspension on a number of bridges.

Greg, My daughter attended the University of East Anglia, in Norwich, Norfolk, UK; and I made a trip over to visit, and do a bit of sightseeing. Norwich is a town of old, Medieval churches & buildings, and I was surprised to the University buildings to be so block like, & utilitarian looking. I understand you can't rebuild Oxford, but UEA looks out of place among all the Gothic stuff. But I suppose form IS following function.

Though sometimes, just sometimes, they play around on them. The Lancaster Mechanical Engineering building in Southampton is an example of the 'brutalist' building style. The main Lecture hall protrudes out the side of the building. Supposedly originally it was cantilevered out. For some reason (excess deflection when loaded with eager engineering students being the most often posited as I recall) pillars were added about a third of the way out at some point.

As to the OP, a bit like "if it looks right it'll fly right" and yet there have been some very effective aircraft of questionable aesthetic appeal, and some very pretty failures.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

... all those alleged aerodynamic cars of the past with their pointy front ends - to "cut through the air". They looked cool, but weren't anywhere near Mach 1.

- Steve

Only a very small part of a car's function is aerodynamics. A large part is carrying a given number of passengers and cargo comfortably, so a VW Microbus is a much better example of fff than a sleek coupe.

Maybe?

Cheers

Greg Locock

I rarely exceed 1.79 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back