Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

"Free Energy" reality or aanother "perpetual motion" scam? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmw

Industrial
Jun 27, 2001
GB
"Dublin-based Steorn challenged the world's 'most qualifi ed and the most cynical' scientists to put its technology, based on magnetic interaction, to the test."
Note: this is not April 1st but then, Christmass has already started in the high street shops.

They claim (
"We have developed a technology that produces free, clean and constant energy.

This means never having to recharge your phone, never having to refuel your car. A world with an infinite supply of clean energy for all.

Our technology has been independently validated by engineers and scientists - always off the record, always proven to work."

and see here:
So, comments anyone?

JMW

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Which goes to prove that Government doesn't always attract the brightest souls. Our state-owned energy company Vattenfall actually bought shares in the Newman machine. I felt genuinly ashamed when I read about it in the newspapers.

Gunnar Englund

Having read Thomas E.'s bio and the list of articles and associations, one can't help but be greatful he isn't the guy with his finger on the button....

There are of course plenty of debunking sites out there.... but perhaps the "tell" we are looking for with Steorn is the money angle. They have actually spent quite a bit of someones money on full page newspaper adverts and lots more besides.

Some of these other sites have their books and articles for sale and presumably Steorn will at some point offer shares for sale but I gues the whole point of the big lie is the big payoff... and I am waiting to see what it is.

THomas E has at least has managed to have a US patent awarded for his MEG device; give the man his due, he could be a 419 scammer but instead, he has taken the "big lie" into an art form. The least we can do is enjoy the fun.
(But what does this tell us about the US patent system?)

PS, it's always a nice touch that when these scams fail (i.e. don't deliver, not that the scammers get caught) that there are always "conspiracy" theories to fall back on; the oil giants are supressing just about everything that threatens their oil dollars etc etc.

JMW

I am entering this discussion a little late.
Is what this guy has, a revisit of the June issue of the 1970 Popular Science Magazine. regarding permanent magnet motors or the work of Jearl Waler and Paul Monus, or does he have something else?
B.E.

The theoretical hyperspace engine at least appears to be based on some physico-mathmatical theory, although I wonder how the New Scotsman can write that a first engine will be ready for testing 5 years from now and keep a straight face, or did I miss the irony?
The perpetuum mobile on the contrary... The more desperately an inventor tries to explain how and especially why his invention works, the less credible he is. A real invention is kept secret and sold in opaque little boxes that mere mortals can't open.

The 5 yr timeline is attributed to Hauser, who should know better than that.

The videos that Steorn has posted on are rather lame. Can't see squat and they're using a Radio Shack DMM, for which you can't even see its display, not that it's that relevant, since they've never shown anything resembling a block diagram or schematic.

Overall, I'm disappointed. If they're real, they're incompetent; if they're scammers, they're incompetent. I could come up with a better video show that what they're shown.

These guys are so lame. Even the magic lubricant guys are better at this; at least, they get someone to use their product for a year, "proving" that there's an improvement in performance.

You would think that in the months of this hoopla, they could have wired up someone's house and run it for a year on a AA-cell or something like that, to prove that it works.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back