Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"GRIP" Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKBBKB

Mechanical
Mar 22, 2004
US
Does anyone know who I can contract to write a "GRIP" program for our Unigraphics Software?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If it is a relatively simple program (set up title block, run an analysis, etc) you can probably get the help you need right in this forum and from the help files. You need to be aware that GRIP will not give programmatic access to all commands available in UG (nothing new has been added to GRIP since around v10 I think - looslib can give more specifics). I would not be surprised if GRIP got phased out of UG (that may be what is happening, I'm not sure).

If you are looking for ways to automate your processes you may want to look into Open C++ as that will give you all the functionality and much more flexibility.

What sort of automation are you trying to accomplish? GRIP has its limitations in today's parametric UG world. Like cowski said, it is stilll useful for gathering data and data checking for attributes to be used by some other process, like titleblocks, etc. It has very little added since V10, just enough to keep it running.

There will be some additions to support the new plotting routines in NX3, but that was added after some pressure from the users.

They keep saying GRIP isn't going to die , but it is on life support. There are rumors of a new easy to use programming tool coming out of the Ideas side, since UGS has to find a way to take the Ideas programming, don't remember what it is called - like UG macros, but a little more programming, and make them work in the NX environment.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Thank you for the updates on the status and usabiliy of the GRIP programming with Unigraphics.
What I need, briefly, is a program which will interpret light bending data into solid model information.
I am expecting a call from my EDS sales rep yet.
Any other comments and suggestions are very welcome!

Any program as complex as that will require UG/Open API (Visual C) programming. GRIP cannot create the solids.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Thanks! I am in touch with the EDS sales rep now. He said as much. I am expecting another call from their services group which handles the "GRIP" and "C" programming. Any ideas on timing and cost for writing this program?

We would be interested in discussing your application in more depth. Please see SolidNX.com for more information and free samples.

Cheers,
-Mike
novick@solidnx.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back