Status
Not open for further replies.

marcolino21576

Materials
Jan 3, 2011
IT
Dear All,

hope the question is not too basic.
I have in front of me an inspection and test plan (ITP), on which customer has placed, in his column, a series of H,W,R (to which I am quite used to), and a "M". I know it stands for "Monitoring", but it's not clear to me how I should handle it.

I explain

H= hold
1) I notify the activity to customer with a certain anticipation
2) I have no permission to carry out the activity until having received a feed back by customer

W= witness
2) I carry out the activity on the scheduled day, regardless customer being present or not

M=monitoring
1) do I have to notify the activity?
2) is feed back of customer mandatory in order to carry out the activity?

Thank you in advance for your suggestion and comments.

Marco

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

from my experience a Monitoring visit means that the "Owner" will send one of their inspectors to monitor a vendor's/sub-contractor's inspector.

some Owners require a contractor/vendor to put in place a third party inspection/inspector plan.

when the event(s) marked with M are identified you need to notify the Owner so they can send in their Monitor.

Go back and ask the customer specifically what they mean or provide clarification.

W= witness
2) I carry out the activity on the scheduled day, regardless customer being present or not

Are you sure about the above statement??? Normally in many of the shop audits I have been involved with, witness means, the customer must be present to witness a specific task or process. The customer can waive this witness point, but must be notified first.

In my experience, Monitor is used for operations where the purchaser wants to be there while the operation takes place, but is not requiring a 24/7 witness.

For example, for a process that may take several days to run an entire order, a Witness would reqire the representative to be there the entire time the order is running, but a Monitor amy only require the representative to be there for the startup and check back periodically to make sure production is proceeding as planned.

rp

Simple Answer:

Hold:
1.) Notification yes
2.) hold activity until inspector can witness or you have official waiver

witness
1.) Notification yes
2.) proceed regardless if inspector is present or not

monitoring
1.) Notification no
2.) just proceed like a witness. Monitoring means the inspector can will check according inspection/production schedule or during other witness/hold inspections these activities.

Thank you guys....

@ Andre
this is the answer which is close to my personal experience. The question now is: is there some "official" references (i.e. a standard) to this definition?

Marco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back