Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Works of Art" - Structural load requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReverenceEng

Structural
Feb 18, 2016
US
I have a "piece of art" a client is making for their client, and they have requested structural engineering for it.

They want to call it a piece of art. It will sit in an open space. Not sure yet if publicly accessible. It is very slender, basically a cantilever structure, on a tilt of 15 degrees, and about 16 feet tall. As such, deflection under wind is very real. Also, if any hooligan were to parkour up this thing, or people just lean on it for pictures, it will deflect quite a bit.

I can make it strong enough, but the deflection is a very real concern, even under it's own weight.

1) Does anyone know any relevant parts of code the pertain to "works of art".
2) Does anyone have any general guidance for stuff like this?

3) As a general question, if someone parkours up this thing, and it breaks, and maybe that kid gets injured, can the engineer be responsible at all? I would think so if it is reasonable to assume that this might happen. Thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Either require that it meet design for a structure (think free standing bus stop roof or similar) or don't provide assistance.
If this isn't sturdy enough to climb on then it needs to be behind a fence.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

I've been asked a few times for help with this sort of thing. It needs to be checked against all the environmental loads that it's subjected to. Use judgement for deflection, maybe use the limits of signage.

You can check the structure for the loading of a person climbing it. That might be the controlling case. People interact with public art, you should expect that.

Here's my thoughts:

1) Does anyone know any relevant parts of code the pertain to "works of art".
[blue]There's nothing in the building code that deals with art specifically - in terms of the art's self-stiffness, etc. As a structural engineer providing engineering consultation/design, you would probably want to simply meet the code's general intent - i.e. life safety using similar levels of safety.[/blue]

2) Does anyone have any general guidance for stuff like this?
[blue]Just what I mentioned above - the issue is you can use ASCE 7 or other similar codes to estimate wind/seismic forces on it. But live loads? Your example of a parkour dude shimmying up the art would give me a sense of loading - such as two, 200 lb. individuals at various locations on the art - simultaneously.[/blue]

3) As a general question, if someone parkours up this thing, and it breaks, and maybe that kid gets injured, can the engineer be responsible at all? I would think so if it is reasonable to assume that this might happen. Thoughts?
[blue]You would be responsible for the public safety and welfare of the structural behavior of the art piece. Your loading criteria, if a lawsuit or claim was filed, would be judged based upon what other reasonable engineers would have done in your situation. I don't think a reasonable engineer would assume a 2.5 ton four-wheel drive truck with a chain pulling down the art is reasonable. But two individuals on it might be. Three? Four? I suppose it depends on the shape, size, ease of climb, etc. on the art. If this is a public display - then getting input from the city building department might be appropriate.[/blue]

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

I don't know that I would be concerned with deflection (servicibility). Servicibility is to keep things from cracking, hitting other things, or making people feel uneasy when they are loading it. If there is no brittle attachments, you account for the deflection interfering with nearby items then I would say servicibility doesn't need to be considered. As far as making people feel uneasy when loading it, its purpose is not to support people. Joe Parkour may feel uneasy on the structure but his feelings don't matter. It may move but it won't fall down.

As long as the strength and stability calcs out, I would be fine with whatever movement you get. With large deflections (i.e. read flexible) you need to make sure you don't get any lateral torsional buckling of members!

Juston Fluckey, SE, PE, AWS CWI
Engineering Consultant

One motivation for checking deflection is to look into vibration under wind loading- a common consideration with road signs, I think.

One motivation for checking deflection is to look into vibration under wind loading- a common consideration with road signs, I think.

If this structure is a slender cantilever that may have people passing underneath, or even climbing on top, then it seems to me that a code for design of road signs would be equally applicable to this structure.

But in general, if considering whether standard code provisions are applicable, just look at the consequences if the particular limit is exceeded.

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

Since you suspect that this is something that people will be able to climb on, you might consider looking at ASTM F1487 Playground Equipment for Public Use. In addition to requirements that are meant to keep kids from getting their head stuck or their fingers smashed, there are loading provisions to be used in testing or analysis in section 12. For example:

Place n load distribution devices on the component or structure in a manner that simulates the anticipated load distribution. Simultaneously load each load distribution device with a downward vertical force, F, given by the following equation: F(lbf)=250(n+1)/n

Also search for "z614-14 Children's playspaces and equipment" which borrows the same language.

Worse, if it is in (or near ) a public place (street or park in a city) people WILL climb it to view a parade, nearby concert or fight or speech. They shouldn't, but they will. Even football goals get torn down by people climbing on them: 10" feet up where yo can't jump up on top.

msquared48 said:
4 Aug 17 21:08
Sounds to like like this is a project calling for the application of the EWAG principle...

Engineering Wild *ss Guess?

Make sure you have a good lawyer and a solid contract with plenty of caveats. If this is public property, then the conditions of design should be submitted to the governing body (i.e. regional building, city planning, etc.) for their approval.

I've done some art projects as well as military static displays. There are no "codes" for this stuff. I make this very clear to all parties involved. I also use lots of factor of safety. The art stuff is the hardest to deal with because the artist doesn't want you to interfere with the art. Make sure you inform the artist in writing of the potential issues. Nothing you do can protect against everything. You get a freak storm that causes your work to fail and the artist will be suing you. Artists can be that way. I recall an art display at a church which the church decided to move. The artist sued the church for millions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back