rjsutton

Mechanical
Aug 1, 2019
NZ
Hi
I have a problem that i hope someone can help me with
I have 3 items
item C is a fixed plate with a length of 900mm
item B is a plate 900mm long it is connected to C with linear bearings and needs to move a total of 400mm . This happens already by using a linear actuator that is connected to the right side of C and right hand of B. when activated this works perfect to push B out 400mm.
Item A is connected to B with linear bearings. This item needs to move 700mm along the bearing until it is flush with left side of B.
what i need is a solution by using a rack and pinion setup to create this movement
i THINK that if a rack was fixed to right of part c and allowed to slide on the side of B . A pinion would be fixed to the side of A so when b moves the pinion would be forced to turn which would create forward movement in A.
if this works i would need to know the ratio of teeth on the pinion as the rack would move 400mm and part A 700mm
Would appreciate any help ive attached a diag of how i think it should be set up but i may be totally wrong
I could use a linear actuator mounted on B with a 700mm stroke to push A but would rather use some mechanical means
thankyou

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=354cf128-5c4b-4c0e-b121-8abbc6663509&file=RACK_AND_PINION.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A moves 1100mm relative to C. B moves 400mm relative to C. So the relative motion 1100 to 400 would be A to B.
Looks like B needs pinion to a fixed rack on C and A needs a rack driven be the pinion on B.

Ted

Thanks Ted
If im understanding A and C would have fixed racks with a pinion mounted on B ( catching both racks )
I was thinking of using 2.0 mod track
Any idea on the no of teeth on pinion to convert the 2 different travels.
Thanks

You need a double pinion. The smaller one engaging the rack on A and the larger one engaging the rack on C. The larger gear would be 1100/400 the size of the smaller gear.
edit: what I called a double pinion should be called a compound gear pinion. Alternatively you could use a three gear train mounted on B and arranged to speed up C in a 7:4 ratio. The input gear engages rack A, an intermediate gear to change rotation of the output gear engaging rack C.

Ted

Excuse me, but I thought Student Posting here is off-limits.

"Student posting in Eng-Tips forums for help with theses or coursework is forbidden. This is considered cheating. Offending posts will be removed from the site and offending members will lose their membership privileges."

Moderator?

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Community..

[green]To the Toolmaker, your nice little cartoon drawing looks cool, but your solid model sucks. Do you want me to fix it, or are you going to take all week to get it back to me so I can get some work done?[/green]

Hi capnhook
im 59 and not studying anything. I am making a machine and have a real problem with sorting out a movement problem
thanks

rjsutton, here is one sketch.
compound_gear_and_rack010_m8fpyt.jpg

and another:
three_gear_and_rack011_jk5u7z.jpg

Ted

I don't think so. The pitch circumference of the larger gear must move its rack 1100mm relative to C.
Edit: irstuff, rethinking this I have to agree. A moves 400 with B and another 400 due to the rack movement for a total of 800 relative to C. A needs another 300 displacement. So, 4+3=7 to 4.

Ted

Guys
thanks for the replies and diags
assume the 2nd diagram is the correct gearing ?7:4
the middle gear is to reverse the rotation direction only
Richard

In the second sketch the three gears are mounted on B. B moves the gear train. Rack C drives the gear it engages causing the gear chain to transmit drive to the rack attached to A. So C is the input and A is the output.
Change the first sketch by making the ratio 7:4 instead of 11:4 while retaining the idea of a compound pinion.

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back