Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radiation problem: Make "Ambient Temp" dependent on current solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcfanatic

Mechanical
Nov 10, 2011
US
Hi guys,

I'm trying to solve a surface to surface radiation problem where I have a part with a constant emissivity, and I'm trying to find its temperature once it is at equilibrium with its enclosure. It is assumed perfectly isolated from conduction, and in a vacuum, so radiation is its only source of heat transfer.

My problem is that I can make an initial guess at the part's temperature, and once it solves it gives me the part's equilibrium temperature; however, that temperature is assuming its radiosity is still dependent on that initial temperature and not is current (equilibrium) temperature

What I've been doing is simply reiterating manually, inputting the solution's equilibrium as the initial temperature and solving again until I converge on a solution. This is time consuming and cumbersome though.

Is there a way to make the part's initial "Ambient Temp" dependent upon the the solution's current temperature, so it will reiterate until it converges on an equilibrium that matches the Ambient Temp field?

Thanks,
Adam

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello - I have tried in the past to do surface-surface radiation, the only thing that springs to mind is defining the SPCTEMP as the ambient? Or have you already done this?
HVSmith

I believe SPCTEMP allows you to specify the "free space ambient temp" near a surface. I don't really have ambient temps though because I'm modeling parts in a vacuum, so the parts themselves have temperatures associated with them, but there is no true ambient (air) temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back