Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radiator Cooler Design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis_mechanical

Mechanical
Aug 12, 2016
PH
Greetings!

I will be designing a cooling system for multiple engines.

I wan't to have the jacket cooling water be cooled using a RADIATOR COOLER.

The problem is I have a hard time finding reference resources on the internet.

Please help me find this resources.

This cooling system is for a 10MW Diesel Engine Power Plant.

Thanks in Advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't cool it in the same loop, get a cooling water loop and use water heat exchangers with a thermostat & bypass.
The radiator manufacturer should be able to tell you how big you need to size it depending on the temperatures and location.

Are you actually in charge of single-handedly designing the cooling system for a 10MW power plant, and you don't even know where to start?

"Formal education is a weapon, whose effect depends on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed." ~ Joseph Stalin

Start by asking the engine manufacturer to supply the engines and generators installed on skids with radiators, one radiator and complete cooling system per engine. It would be wise to also include a raintight shelter/enclosure over the skid, with automatic shutters to close off the radiator openings and air intake openings when the fire suppression system is triggered.

I.e., just buy a bunch of the typical Diesel generator skids sold in the oil patch.

Include remote monitoring and controls to link up to your fixed operator station, or a
control/supervisory skid.

You don't have to 'design' a cooling system; the engine/generator supplier can take care of it for you, and you don't have to worry about water distribution in huge manifolds. All you really have to worry about is installing the skids with enough clearance between them so the radiator airflows don't interact in a bad way.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Good article here that may help;-

But basically you need to know the BTU, which is approx 43BTU per HP. Roughly 1/3 of the heat generated goes to the cooling system in petrol engines, less in diesels, but if you work on 15BTU per HP as an estimate then you can calculater the cooling core area required for the BTU output.

10MW is approx 13,500HP x 43 = 580500BTU /3 = 193500BTU to cool.

Thin radiators are better than thick ones, water & air velocity through the radiator will have an impact on the efficiency, as will the ambient temperature. A good rule of thumb is a radiator is the correct size, when the engine is at full load & the temperature drop across the radiator is 10+ degrees Celcius. By that I mean the coolant leaves the engine at say a nominal 80c & passes through the rads & arrives back at the engine below 70c, at the highest ambient air temperature expected. If at a steady full load state this is achieved then the radiator is the correct size for the application.

YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back