Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

radio communication in noisy areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slofke

Marine/Ocean
Sep 19, 2009
AU
I work on a dredge in the engine room.
Sometimes we need to communicate in the engine room by radio(UHF or VHF).
We now have radios with headphones that have a microphone boom.
It is close to impossible to get yourself heard over the noise.
Who has good experience with other solutions, i heard about microphones that you plug in your ear.
What brand is the best renown for this?
any info is welcome.

thanks, slofke

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check out aviation headsets. Several sites such as sportys.com will offer headsets from $150 to $1000. The noise canceling would be best - and they are not the lower end of the cost scale.

Another good bet is the "throat mic" Ir straps to your neck, pressed against the larynx. Soviets used them in army tanks, and I know a few guys flying helos that started using them. No environmental noise at all.

yeah throat mic application would do..better try motorola portable radio with specs ambient noise gain resolution.

"..the more, the merrier" Genghis Khan

well, i heard about throat mic's, but it was also said they drop down now and then.
Does anybody have experience with those microphones which are built in "in-ear plugs"?

If you are in one room you are probably better off with a digital system.

Peltor Dectcom with a Tactical SP headset is the best solution, but not cheap.

If you want a straight headset for your radio I would go for a Peltor Flex eardefender headset. I would NOT advise a throat mic, than can be pretty unintelligible if they aren't being worn correctly

Have used a throat mic in the military and under situations were their are lots of bangs and such also more important virtualy whispering, and lots of jumping around.So I should look at military surplus sites, but make sure the impedance,and plugs and sockets etc. are compatable.

Thanks guys, i got some good info about this now.
I got to a site where I now ordered an "in-ear" microfone set to try out. I can use this in combination with my peltor earmuffs.
Hope it works, else i gonna try the throat mic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back