Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Raise promised, but never given... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JigaWatt

Electrical
Jul 15, 2002
US
I work at a small engineering company, I'm the head electrical engineer over a few people. I oversee every electrical aspect of all of our projects from start to finish. I work more hours than anyone in our office (ten people), including the company owner, primarly because I'm the only experienced EE, so it is up to me to make sure everything is taken care of on the electrical side of our projects. I work until 6PM every day, while the rest of the office clears out pretty much at 5PM sharp. I work weekends when necessary, put in extra effort to make sure our clients are happy, and have never had a substantial error in my work. Basically I'm saying I put a lot of effort into my work.

At my previous job, I received two or three raises a year, every year, without ever mentioning it. Every raise was a surprise. Nearly six weeks ago, I asked my boss for a raise, my first one since I've been with the company (I've been here almost two years). He immediately and enthusiastically agreed to the raise ("Sure! We can do that"). At the same time, I asked if there was anything with my performance that I should improve, or if there is anything at all I should be doing different. He said "no, not at all". But now, three pay periods later, nothing has happened. I've been told by one of the higher mechanical engineers that this is typical.

What frustrates me the most is not the money (it is maybe $180 take-home per month, not life changing). The problem is, I feel like I've been lied to, and in my opinion it is just plain insulting to tell someone they are going to get a raise, then never follow through. It is just a slap in the face. I never hesitate to put in extra hours when anything needs to get done, and only 3-4 of my unpaid overtime hours would more than pay for what I requested. I work more extra hours than that every week. Honestly, in my opinion, it equates to theft, since we had an agreement. It is no different than if I agreed to work 8-5 every day, but leave at 4.

I don't believe he has simply forgotten, since I've been told this is status quo when a raise is requested (before I ever asked). I also know that financially, it isn't a problem for the company.

How would you approach this situation with your boss? Other than this issue, our relationship is friendly, and always has been. I really feel like telling him basically what I said above, that it is insulting to me since we had an agreement but he didn't follow through, although I know that is probably not the best course of action.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try to catch him one on one after everyone elso has gone home. Speak calmly and professionally and do not be confrontational, if you cannot manage this then wait until another time to bring it up.

Get straight to the point, mention that it has been three pays since your discussion and that you have not heard anything. State your case again why you feel you deserve the rise.

If this doesnt work then you may only have one option.

I get your point, but the main thing that bugs me isn't the raise. I wish he'd realize that this is something you shouldn't do to people. Other that this, I believe his business dealings are honest and respectable. However, I'm going to have to deal with him in the future on an increasing number of occasions with bigger and bigger amounts (I've been promised a portion of ownership in the company in a few years). If this is how he will deal with me at that time, it makes me question the decision to put more years in here with that goal in mind.

My billionaire friend was really, really good at inducing people to believe that he had promised things that they could never prove he promised. Working for him was otherwise a grand adventure.

The way it smells from here, if you don't have a contract that spells out the terms under which you will gain ownership, it probably won't happen.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

JigaWatt, the worst thing about your situation is how it is making you feel. Having experienced a similar situation early in my career, I believe you have to get this resolved one way or the other, and soon. Make an appointment to have a man-to-man, and get it off your chest. Odds are that he will respect you for telling him of this flaw in his management style, and if not, then there are plenty of jobs around for an engineer of your ability. You will feel a weight lifted off your back. Good luck.

(I've been promised a portion of ownership in the company in a few years).

Those verbal contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on.

If it has already been discussed and 'sort of' promised, then ask him again, once. Make it quite clear and plain and to the point. If a decision cannot be made on the spot then set a time/date when it will be met.
Then if that deadline goes you start to understand where you stand.
Don't work till 6.00pm and don't work weekends. If you do not have a vested interest in the company then why should you care if the owner doesn't? I know this is not easy; you're either a person who looks at the clock or looks at the work to be done.

Send him an email saying

Dear xxxxxx,
Per our conversation on xx/xx/xx I understood you agreed I had earned a raise to $xxxx per xx. please let me know where we stand on this matter and when I could expect to see the resulting increase in my actual paycheck. Let me know if you would like to discuss the matter or my performance in general.
Thank you for your time,
xxxxxx

He may of gotten busy, forgot, passed it on to someone how has not followed through, etc. Give him the benefit of the doubt, but this time try to get an email response or write it down as he is saying it and get him to agree while knowing you wrote it down.

Good luck. Sounds like a good job with good responsibility. Keep communicating with the boss. He does not want to lose you.

ZCP

If it isn't on paper and signed, then it isn't worth much. Even if it is signed, it still probably isn't a sure thing.

Even so, I would get it on paper. Have another talk with him, remind him what he promised the last time you guys talked, and get it in writing.

If it still doesn't come through, do you really want to work for an untrustworthy owner/company?

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

If I was in your shoes, I would start looking for work. I think this same problem will repeat itself.

In the meantime, I also like Beggar's idea. If that does not work, ZCP's idea of an e-mail sounds good too. But, honestly once something like this has happened, maybe it is a sign to move on.

How do you know that he didn't get the ball rolling? It could be that your raise has been mired down in the paperwork that must be completed in order for you to see the result in your paycheck. Just ask him the very thing that is on your mind - did he follow through?

Maui

Does no one talk anymore? Why is everyone so quick to start packing their bags? Just go and ask. If he is extremely busy, send an email. If he doesn't check his email, put a note in his box or with the secretary with a spot for him to fill in when he can meet with you and for how long.

ZCP

Two or three raises a year, every year? For how long? One or two years is believable. More than that is not.

Get your resume out there. Interview. When you have a better offer, lay it on the line and use the other offer as your trump card! The partner deal is the carrot he's leading you on with while he's pocketing the raises he's keeping from you.

Wise up!

Good luck,
Latexman

I don't think anger and frustration ever helps.

Be respectful and professional when you ask him when you can expect to see the raise he agreed to.

I personally refrain from ultimatums.

As a parallel concurrent activity, I usually decide when and how to leave in a manner that puts where I want to be, and I start a methodical execution of that plan.

Usually I determine up front what the point of no return is. If my relocation plan gets to that point before the compensation is there, I just go.

If an acceptable alternative doesn’t arise, than I just have to realize the job market isn’t going to support the raise.

That’s when you might consider lowering the quality and quantity of services rendered. Face it, it’s easier for your boss to keep you on despite a lower performance level than it will be to bring someone new in.

Use the extra time to work on credentials to get you where you want to be.

Thanks for all of the tips, I do appreciate getting different perspectives.

I was at my previous position for almost three years (no, that isn't very long), and recieved 2-3 raises/year. Smallest was 3%, biggest was 10%. Starting pay was mid-forties, so the increases weren't exactly leaps and bounds. Still, it was great to know that you were appreciated, and that my pay was increasing significantly faster than inflation...which isn't happening now. My last boss offered me another raise when I left, told me he thought I was making a mistake by leaving, but said I had a job offer with them always on the table. Now sometimes I wonder if he wasn't right about the mistake part.

I know what I need to do is bring it up with my current boss in a professional manner...it just isn't that easy to do, but I'll end up doing that in the next day or two. I don't want to be a pushover. I have extraordinary job security right now, but it is still difficult to in some way confront the hand that feeds you.

I'm not looking for other jobs, I intend to stay here (unless things continue this way), but I did happen to get a call from a headhunter last week regarding a local position. I told them I wasn't actively looking right now, but I am curious about what they have to offer.

I know it isn't a "paperwork" delay. It is a small company...the checks are printed in the office. A change can be made in minutes, it is just a matter of re-calculating tax withholding, etc.

As for future ownership, it is again a small company, no real assets other than computers and software, so the cash value is very small. Once the owner retires, there aren't going to be any buyers other than the current PEs in the company. The owner will basically have to sell to them (us) or the company goes away. Right now I'm gaining now is relationships, trust & respect of our clients (which is one reason I put in a lot of effort now), and I'm just hoping this all works out in the end. Yes, it could all fall apart, but the way I see it, I have no other shots at ownership this soon. Other than starting on my own, which of course means a whole lot of risk for my family & savings.

The last two weeks I worked 55-60 hours a week. Granted, those were two of the busiest weeks ever, but nothing takes the wind out of your sails like getting another paycheck with no raise after its been promised. Today I just couldn't make myself stay much past 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back