Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAM Limitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

engAlright

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2003
CA
I know there are some other posts that have made reference to this, but I"m wondering if there's anyone out there who has had this problem.

One of designers is trying to open a file, and RAM usage peaks at just under 1GB.

Computer Specs:
Windows XP SP1
<BOLD>2GB RAM</BOLD>
P4 2.0Ghz
NVidia Quadro4 700
40GB HD

We've tried enabling 3GB mode and changing the Virtual Memory size, to no avail.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you increased virtual memory or decreased it? (Increasing may cause the memory to write to the HD, since it's virtual memory and not RAM).

Other than those items, do you see anything in the Task Manager sucking up RAM beyond normal that would push your RAM back down to 1GB?

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

You may have a bad RAM module. Check that your computer is actually recognizing the 2GB of RAM. If it isn't try removing & reseating your RAM sticks.

[cheers] & all the best.

I am working on a drawing which is slightly over 4mb. In the drawing I have inserted a design table, don't know if this has anything to do with it, but for some reason my computer slowed drastically it is glitching. How do you go about with increasing the virtual memory. I Would like to increase it see if that'll help.

System Spec:

xp pro ver. 2002 sp 2
1.00 GB of RAM
RADEON 9200 - 128 MB

This is what I found out.

Total pages file size for all drives: 1536 MB
Virual Memory
Initial Size (MB): 1536
Maximum Size (MB): 3072
c: 1536 - 3072

Can I make any adjustment to these numbers?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back