Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rammed Earth 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali_oh_mali

Civil/Environmental
Apr 22, 2024
GB
Hey all, just looking for some information on updated standards for Rammed earth structures.

Seen some stunning buildings online, and recently visited some in the UK and Ghana. Any recommendations on which codes are the most up-to-date. Most of what I can find is advice from experienced builders, which is incredibly valuable, but have to develop a model for the client, so any recommendations on what standard is best practise at the moment would be appreciated.

Thanks
Al

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sadly, most African countries don't do a good job documenting their construction practices. You should however find research articles on these designs. I bet South Africa will have more literature on this. I had a couple of old literature on this method of construction, but I don't know the where about of those books.

Let me know if you find interesting references

Below are some links i got from Google

Thanks for those, I hadn't come across them. Also good call on South Africa. It seems that both SA and Zimbabwe do have rammed earth standards.

Will let you know if I find anything else. Have to spend some time on this, so once I get all the info together I will try to post a summary of resources.

Having spent a lot more time on this now, there is an incredible body of research out there on Rammed Earth. I have attached the Scopus literature analysis of just Rammed Earth research going on, so not including all the other types of earth construction methods.

Scopus_Rammed_Earth_studies_yz1pcr.png

Unfortunately, earth construction has this 'traditional' or 'weak' stereotyping attached to it, because the recent construction work is very much a Modern Method of Construction. Really hope more lecturers and technical programs get more familiar with this work as it seems to be a win economically, as well as environmentally and considerably improved thermal comforts and fire resistance. Can see places that are exposed to frequent wildfires adopting this more over the next few years.

There is a (I hope) useful summary of all the technical aspects I have found in the Advantages and Disadvantages. I may have geeked out on rammed earth a bit over the last few months.

Advanatges_RE_zjja9n.png

Dis_RE_v6oxa8.png

Bit of a long one, but if anyone wants the resources here are the references.

I hope this helps someone.

[li]Adegun, O. B., & Adedeji, Y. M. D. (2017). Review of economic and environmental benefits of earthen materials for housing in Africa. In Frontiers of Architectural Research (Vol. 6, Issue 4, pp. 519–528). Higher Education Press Limited Company. [/li]
[li]Arrigoni, A., Beckett, C., Ciancio, D., & Dotelli, G. (2017). Life cycle analysis of environmental impact vs. durability of stabilised rammed earth. Construction and Building Materials, 142, 128–136. [/li]
[li]Ávila, F., Puertas, E., & Gallego, R. (2022). Characterization of the mechanical and physical properties of stabilized rammed earth: A review. In Construction and Building Materials (Vol. 325). Elsevier Ltd. [/li]
[li]Cabeza, L. F., Barreneche, C., Miró, L., Morera, J. M., Bartolí, E., & Inés Fernández, A. (2013). Low carbon and low embodied energy materials in buildings: A review. In Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews (Vol. 23, pp. 536–542). [/li]
[li]Ciancio, D., & Beckett, C. (2013). Rammed earth: An overview of a sustainable construction material. [/li]
[li]Jiang, M., Jiang, B., Lu, R., Chun, L., Xu, H., & Yi, G. (2023). Thermal and Humidity Performance Test of Rammed-Earth Dwellings in Northwest Sichuan during Summer and Winter. Materials, 16(18). [/li]
[li]Kateregga, J. K. (1983). Improvement and use of earth construction products for low cost housing. Appropriate Building Materials for Low cost Housing, African region.[/li]
[li]National Building Technology Centre. (1985). Fire-Resistance Test on a Loadbearing Rammed Earth Wall. [/li]
[li]Ramezanpour, M., Eslami, A., & Ronagh, H. (2021). Seismic performance of stabilised/unstabilised rammed earth walls. Engineering Structures, 245. [/li]
[li]Samadianfard, S., & Toufigh, V. (2020). Energy Use and Thermal Performance of Rammed-Earth Materials. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 32(10). [/li]
[li]Thompson, D., Augarde, C., & Osorio, J. P. (2022). A review of current construction guidelines to inform the design of rammed earth houses in seismically active zones. In Journal of Building Engineering (Vol. 54). Elsevier Ltd. [/li]
[li]Walker, P., Keable, R., Martin, J., & Maniatidis, V. (2005). Rammed earth: Design and construction guidelines.[/li]
[li]Zami, M. (2014). Drivers and their Relationship with Inhibitors Influencing the Adoption of Stabilized Earth Construction to Alleviate Urban Housing Crisis in Zimbabwe. Key Engineering Materials, 632, 119–144. [/li]

Just a note on the disadvantages - the majority of these weaknesses can be overcome with appropriate improvements in design and technology such as chemical stabilisation (lime or cement - these just effect recyclability of earth), wear protection (many modern coating options - linseed oil, paint types) or appropriate architecture and construction processes.

Thought it is worth noting that there are easy ways around the disadvantages

Thanks a lot for the references and links, I will check them out. Sadly, I never learnt about rammed earth construction even though it was common where I grew up. Did you find one that used bamboo as reinforcement? I have seen it done several times and the structure stood for decades. I must add that those even in low-wind and no seismic zone so I can't attest to its performance in high wind or seismic zone.

I have observed some structures using palm kernel fibres in them as well. I know local universities in Africa will have some literature on them, I just have to know where exactly to look as traditional methods aren't often documented.

Have come across a few papers that mention the use of bamboo. Will try to pull them up, but it seems to be used in a very similar way to standard reinforcement bar, just more of it required.

There is decent literature on the seismic performance of RE and the requirements to make it work. Think it just requires specific reinforcement, much like any building material would in an active zone. I haven't done a deep dive into it as I am not in a seismic zone, but I am sure the New Zealand codes will have fairly good detail on that if you are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back