Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

raster to vector

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbroselogan

Mechanical
May 14, 2007
US
Hello

I have an oppertunity to bid on scanning and converting jobs for several of the businesses in my area. I have an extensive drafting, design, and cad background and have worked in raster to vector conversion in the past. However that has been many years ago. I have not kept up on any of the advances in the software and hardware.

Can any one reccomend scanners and software for this and what kind of quality can I expect? The paper files I will be addressing are 25-50 years old and a wide range of condition and legibility.

I've managed many projects tho they were all from new designs and have not had to bid for any job like this. But it is a good oppertunity to advance and create a better future for me and my family. Any suggestions, tips or assistance would be helpful.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

for scanning, as the sheet size are sometimes quite large, maybe a digital camera with a relative high resolution - a full size Nikon or Canon with a good quality fixed length lens can do a lot.
It might also be a much faster way than using a traditional scanner. You would need a setup as used for copy-work, but plenty of literature is available on this subject.

There is software for map-reproduction which can filter the images to a resonably degree, most of it is available in a limited free version.
I have used WinTopo, which works fine after a little testing on the settings.
regards.

Morten K. Thillemann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back