Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ratchet Strap for Lifting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use straps, load rated ones, for lifting all the time. But the ratchet is the thing that worries me about lifting. It just adds another thing to need regular inspection before use, only what would you look for (worn pawls, missing or sticky spring...). And would the winding of the strap tend to make it wear more quickly, or does the relatively tight wrap radius make the strap weaker (like a knot factor)?

That said, #3 son uses what is essentially a ratchet strap for slack line practice. Not sure how high he's gone (I think less than head high) with it.

For lifting what? How often? Consequences of failure severe or not?

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Thank you everyone for replying. I have attached sketch of a hypothetical case. My question is more just in general: would you use a ratchet strap as the primary lifting support for overhead lifting? Instead of slings or wire rope or chain? Assume ideal conditions: safe WLL, lifting rarely, wear not being a problem, consequences of failure not severe.

From your answers already, it sounds like there are situations that people would allow ratchet straps to be used for lifting, since I was asked for more details. I thought I might just get a straight "No".

Thanks!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=fd9bc984-1554-4ca8-893a-53b3cbb5127c&file=SKETCH00.pdf
This is one of those things where instinct and experience tell you NO WAY, but in theory it seems just fine.

Just too many points of failure on the ratchet mechanism and too many opportunities for some to screw up which then kills or injures someone else.

use it once - OK, Use it 100 times - hmmmm, use it 1000 times - disaster.

1:1000 is way too small odds for me.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Buy certified load rated slings to use.
We used to use some ratchet straps to adjust an item but it was then pinned in place without long term load on the ratchets.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back