Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

RC beam horizontally supported by the steel beam?

greznik91

Structural
Feb 14, 2017
SI
Hello,
I'm dealing with the RC structure(moment frames in both dfirections) with masonry walls/infills between RC walls/columns.
Only the small part of the building plan has RC slab on the top – the rest of the structure is 'opened' - doesn't have RC slab on top so the timber roof is the only diaphragm (plywood sheating + diagonal steel straps on rafters).

The middle RC beam with cross section of 400x800 mm is supporting the roof – the span is 10 m.

Question: I image that in case of the earthquake the middle beam will 'swing' left and right (perpendecular to the beam axis/line) since it is long and heavily loaded. Is there any point/reason to add a steel beam (red line in the attached image) that will prevent this action? But at the same time it will cause shear forces on the beam. What is your suggestion/opinion on this.

1_veuqji.png

2_xlle75.png

3_uosn8d.png

4_kbgdr2.png

5_ply9fv.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't feel that you need the steel beam. I feel that it would not be a very big deal to just design the RC beam to deal with its own, inertial seismic load.

It's conceivable that the beam might see a bit of axial compression during seismic shaking. As such, perhaps it deserves a bit of stockiness just for that reason.

Back