Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Re-Using Gaskets 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharik

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2003
CA

This is going to seem like a silly question but, I know it is good and common practice to not reuse flange gaskets (greylock, spiral wound, etc.)(compression, sealing, etc). Other people are not aware of this practice and want to re-use existing gaskets.

I'm tired of trying to explain common sense to them while they are only interested in saving money and meeting minimum Code requirements.

Does anyone know of any standard, national or international, which states, don't re-use gaskets, you bonehead? If I can show them something in writing, we can move on from this.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do not reuse gaskets peroid!
I wish I had just a pinch of the money spent by trying to reuse a gasket.

The only place I've seen this referenced is in company catalogues. I've been told that there is one reference in one of the standards about this but I've haven't seen it or know which one.
With spiral wound gaskets you have already compressed them the required amount and in some cases used up the allowable design bolt stress. If you dis by some chance reuse a gasket you would have to stress the bolt more and possibly cupping the flange. One other point is that a lot of time you will lose part of the filler material from the spirals.

Never reuse gaskets for a surface under pressure that requires a seal. I got doused with several thousand gallons of acetone one night because some f*#! idiot decided to save a few dollars reusing gaskets. Compare a used gasket to a new gasket you will be able to see the wear, deformation, grooves, etc. This should be enough to convince any run of the mill moron. If still not enough then get literature from your gasket supplier or training course. I too think it is in one of the codes but I have no idea which one.

If that still isn't enough to change the practice then find a new place to work.

Make a big sign showing the cost of just one of your typical gaskets

and

The showing the amount of lost revenue resulting from a plant or Unit shutdown required to change out just one leaking "Reused" gasket.

Hang copies in all the Board Room, the Control Rooms, the Maintenance shop and the lunch rooms.

I would bet that will get peoples attention.

I will elaborate, as the particulars appear in the 2010 edition and were not in the 2000 ed:

" ... Reuse of a gasket is generally not recommended. One
current exception is large, grooved metal gaskets with
facing layers (see Appendix C) that are reused in some
instances after having been reconditioned and refaced
in a manner consistent with the original product specifications.
Use of gaskets so refurbished is not considered
as gasket reuse in the context of the first sentence. For
other gasket types, experience has clearly shown that
only a new gasket will reliably provide the necessary
plastic deformation and elastic recovery characteristics
essential to achieve an effective seal. Visual or physical
inspection of a used gasket for apparent damage is not
sufficient to detect such sealing surface factors as
workhardening, brittleness, or the affects of heat or interaction
with the service fluid." ...

Status
Not open for further replies.