Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading Pump Curve for Fluid Which is Not Water 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have additional fluid properties you can plug in a custom fluid in most of the sizers.

Increased SG results in a higher discharge pressure

Here are two curves for the same pump, targeting 100gpm/60psi design point, one run with water, one run with 1.3 SG.

Edit: hard to read as posted, but the impeller trim line is about 20psi higher, and max shutoff pressure is 90-95psi on the pump with water, 120 at 1.3SG. You also jump up a motor size on this pump going to higher SG

curves_vmwoin.jpg

Proper pump curves show head, not pressure. The reason for that is that pump head does not change regardless of the fluid being pumped. It remains constant for any fluid. If you want to know the pressure corresponding to a given fluid at a specific head, then you must multiply head x fluid density.

For certain fluids, esp those with unusual viscosities, a pump will not develop the same head as water. In those cases you should consult the mfgr, or otherwise make proper compensation.

A black swan to a turkey is a white swan to the butcher ... and to Boeing.

Update:

My question was silly. The total dynamic head I calculated should have been calculated in a way which included the S.G in the first place. I.E when converting from psi to head for each component, I should have used S.G which I did not do for some of the suction head terms. I've corrected my mistake and arrived at a final head that lands perfectly on the curve at the expected location.

The modification I intend to perform to the system will minimally effect the flow as predicted by the pump curve shift when adding the anticipated pressure drop.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back