Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reading schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanchez01

Electrical
Oct 13, 2010
US
Hello
I need help interpreting the rotary switch (CHR10 type) schematic.
I have drawn part of the vendor drawing that I need help with.
How do you read this? Say switch is on A position, does this mean contacts 1-2, 5-6 and 9-10 are closed? If B is chosen, 3-4, 7-8 and 11-12 would be closed then?
If that’s true then whether I select A or B, I end up energizing both 4-A1 and 4-A2 relays right? The idea was to energize one relay at time based upon the switch A or B position.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe your interpretation of the switch diagram is correct, at least that's how I would read it. But that control diagram makes no sense even without your description, and with your description of the desired sequence of operation it's even worse.

All it sounds like you wanted was a changeover switch, either A or B. That only needed 2 contacts. But your diagram shows no source even if we imply a common on the other side of the coils.

Poor execution.

"Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum."
— Kilgore Trout (via Kurt Vonnegut)

For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

I think I got it now.
I was missing the X and Y nodes and that makes a difference.
Say X (assume a relay) is energized then 4-A1 would energize if position “A” is selected in the rotory switch (43GF) as contact 1-2 would close and so would 5-6 but since 3-4 is open, 4-A2 wouldn’t energize. Now if Y is energized (X off) with switch still in A position, 4-A2 would energize. This is what I was expecting but finally realized how.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5412deef-6e9c-4586-b4fe-f8aba090533a&file=rotswitch.bmp
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back