Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Recalled fire sprinkler heads 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobinillinois

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2011
US
Is there any identification manual floating out in the ether to identify recalled heads?

I've run across my share of heads over the years but I've found one that I can't put my finger on to see if it fell under the list of heads manufactured by CSC that got recalled in their GB series.

It's a Central ESFR 14K 160 degree pendant. It appears to share the same flat base O-ring seal that doomed the GB's but I can't be positive.

Any input would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

call and see if this number is still good

Building and home owners should check their fire sprinklers immediately to see if they are part of this voluntary replacement program. For more information on how to identify sprinklers subject to this program and to learn how to participate in this program, call the Notice Packet Request Line at 1-800-871-3492 24 hours a day, 7 days a week or access the program's web site at

I appreciate the input but unfortunately CSC went out of business some time ago so contacting the manufacturer doesn't help. Also don't try the above phone number unless you're looking for "the hottest chat line ever."

Fortunately I located an old CSC recall guide and then we hashed out the CSC o-ring style head issue in a meeting last night. Apparently the CSC GB head recall was because the heads would not reliably work under 7 psi due to corrosion on the o-rings.

As this is an ESFR head, getting 7 psi shouldn't an issue.

Another source of help would fire insurance carriers. Such insurance companies have fire protection engineering departments that keep records regarding obsolete sprinkler heads. Best way to contact such companies is to get hold of insurance agents selling property insurance.

The Central voluntary recall has expired. Those who did not have their recalled sprinkler replaced under the recall will have to foot the bill themselves. There are still recalled heads in service. One of my hotel accounts declined the recall.

The Star recall has expired. Those who did not have their recalled sprinkler replaced under the recall will have to foot the bill themselves. I had three accounts with the Star ME-1 heads. Each delayed making a decision until 3 to 10 years after the recall ended. Each got new heads and had to stand the expense of replacement.

From nfpa 25, 2014 Ed, same in the 2011 Ed

4.1.4* Corrections and Repairs.
4.1.4.1 The property owner or designated representative shall correct or repair deficiencies or impairments that are found during the inspection, test, and maintenance required by this standard.

A4.1.4 Recalled products should be replaced or remedied. Remedies include entrance into a program for scheduled re- placement. Such replacement or remedial product should be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and the appropriate NFPA installation standards. A recalled product is a product subject to a statute or administrative regu- lation specifically requiring the manufacturer, importer, dis- tributor, wholesaler, or retailer of a product, or any combina- tion of such entities, to recall the product, or a product voluntarily recalled by a combination of such entities.
Needed corrections and repairs should be classified as an impairment, critical deficiency, or noncritical deficiency ac- cording to the effect on the fire protection system and the nature of the hazard protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back