Not open for further replies.

DaveVikingPE

Structural
Aug 9, 2001
US
Wow!
======================
Pay at Investment Banks Eclipses All Private Jobs

Investment banking paid an average weekly wage of $8,367, compared with $841 for all private sector jobs, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said in a routine report issued Thursday.

The report also showed how far ahead hedge fund managers are of other investment bankers in making money.

In Fairfield County, Conn., home to many hedge funds, the average pay was $23,846 a week. In Manhattan, with a much broader mix of investment banking firms and seven times the number of employees, pay was much less, averaging $16,849 a week in the first quarter of 2006.
======================================

Gee Whiz, how many engineers are smarter than investment bankers???!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depressing isn't it.

----------------------------------
image.php

Sometimes I wake up Grumpy.
Other times I just let her sleep!

Flock it, is anyone else taking the plunge outta here??? I am looking at energy and then into energy economics....is there anyone coming with me!!! The dark side beckons!!!

Investment banking is a high stressfull job, you can gain and loose allot of money in one day. You can be at the top of the world and then jumping off a cliff the next day because your stocks tanked big time. Investment banking is also a 24/7 job if you have markets over seas. Its a tough life.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

Twoballcane- Interesting post and certainly a good point.

If engineers don't design a system correctly, we can cost our clients thousands of dollars (or more) per hour in lost productivity .

Some days we may think we're the smartest engineer we know, other days (hopefully fewer!) we might wonder how we missed that calculation or made that mistake.

When a system isn't running as specified, we get calls and emails at all hours of the day or night.

Its a tough life.

:)

--
Erik
MO P.E.

If you compare it to the stress an engineer would go through to earn 1.2 million, one year of hedge fund/investment banking doesnt look that stressfull.

It is other peoples money anyway!

csd

HGTx,

Just because we know we could do it doesnt mean that someone would give us the job.

Unfortunately you need a relevant degree to convince them you are capable of doing it. And I dont want to go back to Uni.

csd

My last place had a merchant banker who was now working in Engineering (project manager then factory GM then factory GM and temporary Tech Director then key project manager or something like that).

He was still referred to as a merchant banker because of what it rhymed with!

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back