Salary Negotiation Failed Recent College Graduate 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

afdengo

Structural
Dec 28, 2017
CR
Hello All,

I'm a young engineer that just got a bachelor's in civil engineering. I recently interviewed for and was offered a position at a construction company I was eager to work at.

I tried to negotiate a higher salary than I was offered, but ultimately I failed and was offered only the original salary. I accepted this since I still wanted the job and the salary isn't much lower than what I was aiming for.

My question is, as engineering employees and employers yourselves, what would you think of a new person coming in like this? I feel kind of embarassed and awkward coming into my first day on Monday now that I tried to squeeze some more money out of them and failed. Do you think they will look down on me a little bit for that or will they just forget about it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No one is coming to work because it is their hobby. Everyone is trying to save up for their retirement and their mortgage. Now you just go to work and hopefully you get what you want there. A pretty big chunk of fresh graduates switch companies after they get their PE license so don't be too surprised or disappointed when if your present employer doesn't progressively increase your salary. Companies that play that game love spending money to train fresh graduates over and over.

It is not bad to negotiate. Even you are young, you showed personality when you tried to negotiate with them. That is a good thing. I think that your new employee liked that, especially because you will be working in the construction industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back