Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

REciprocating compressor - rod packing seal - Packing rings rotated inside the cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ENG7345

Mechanical
Nov 26, 2017
AU
Hi All,

We replaced the rod packing seal of our Methane compressor less than a year ago. When we inspected last week, we found sign of wear on the back of the cups, apparently due to spinning of the adjacent radial ring in its position. I cannot figure out how the ring can rotate in the cup as there is no force to push it that way. Has anybody experienced a similar case? What could be the cause of it?
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have never seen this. You should have a specification for surface finish on the rod. This is achieved with a grind in a cross-hatch pattern. I can imagine that a poorly executed cross-hatch could generate some force on the packing rings encouraging them to rotate in the cups. I can also imagine that installing the packing incorrectly with regards to orientation of the tangential rings could produce some rotational forces in operation. But, if the packing is properly lubricated, cooled and purged, I would still not expect significant wear on the cups. Is this a particularly dirty service?

Johnny Pellin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back