Recommendations for 3D printer 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josef_G

Mechanical
Dec 7, 2019
IL
Hello all,
I'm looking for recommendations for a 3D printer based on the following criteria:
- The printed parts are to be used in a medical device prototype.
- The printed parts will be used in pre-clinical trials, so any important regulatory issues such as material used could be meaningful.
- The general tolerance level I'm looking for is up to +-0.1 mm.
- Budget - up to 2,500 USD, obviously no need to use the entire budget.
- Flexibility regarding materials used would be great.
- Doesn't need to have a big work volume.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the recommendations.

itsmoked -
That looks like a very solid idea. I looked around online and the reviews for the Prusa i3 all suggest that it's a great product.
For anyone interested in the idea of printers printing more printers:
Prusa i3 Farm

EngDesServices -
I've actually been using an SLA printer for a few months and it served me pretty well. However, I'm looking for a less brittle material.
Also, it seems to me that SLA printers demand higher maintenance and more expensive materials. Is that fair to say?

Hey ctopher,
I'd actually really like to spend a few hours putting it together.
Would there be a difference in precision if I did that, or is the precision easily reproducible?

There are a lot of FDA filaments available for FDM. Not sure about SLA though I just walked past one printing bone.

I have a Maker's Toolworks MendelMax 3 which is a solid printer I'm happy with but it cost a truckload more than the Prusa and I had to assemble it. That took about 30 hours.. I just upgraded it which took another 12 hours.

Keith Cress
kcress -

People don't realize 3D printers have been around a long time. The first one I saw was an SLA (not sure what they called it at the time) when I worked at McDonnell-Douglas, Long Beach, 1986. It was large, and pretty sure it was expensive. ;-)
They didn't become popular, or known, until prices/sizes dropped.

ctopher, CSWP
SolidWorks '17
ctophers home
SolidWorks Legion

Thanks btrue.

I'm not sure why it's called "Reprap" (which I misspelled above)

3DDave; I'm not sure that's true in this case as the Reprap space is a total 'patent buster' since hobbyists don't care about patents and sellers can sell kits and bits of kits that aren't the patented things while assembled. True dat for commercial sales of assembled machines but that wasn't where it started.

Keith Cress
kcress -

We just got a Dremel 3d45 FDM machine and I can't believe how well this machine works.

The cost is roughly $1900 US, and it takes PA, ABS, & PET materials, the tolerance seems typical for this type of machine although I haven't really run it through it's paces yet. But the slicer software available gives the options to change build densities, and (presumably tolerance). It's very easy to use, and is about the size of a large Microwave.

I have previous experience with much larger, more expensive machines from the industry pioneers, but Dremel (Bosch) is a latecomer to this market, and they hit a home run with this unit. For the price and quality and ease of use, I give it 5 stars.

Hello,

We have a Prusa I3 MK3S and I am very happy with it. It's basically stayed powered on for a year and half and have had no issues with it. The Prusa slicer program is very nice as well.

Kyle

Josef, To start with identify the resins that you can use that are approved and have the properties that you need.
Then you can look for a compatible printer.
You are doing this backwards.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back