Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rectangular Nozzle Design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrancKx

Mechanical
Jun 30, 2008
ES
Hi, im working right now into designing a cyclon wich inlet is a rectangular connection with a length-to-width ratio of 2. I have designed the nozzle applying ASME Appendix 13 with reinforcements to reduce wall size, now im stuck into the design of the rectangular flange... I havent found any standard for rectangular flanges, only recommendatios, but most of them fow length-to-width ratios under 1.5

Any recommendations or support for this case?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

PD 5500 Enquiry Case 5500/133 has design instructions for rectangular flanges.

Why not make the transition in the cyclone inlet to a circular flange in the vessel rather than making the first spool the transition? I am assuming that you are somewhere connection to a round duct!

Mark Hutton

Crompto29 Thanks for the info, ill try to look for that standard.

HEC the rectangular geometry for a cyclone inlet is used because it gives better efficiency in the equipment (you want the flow to be as close as it can to the walls when entering the vessel) the connection is converted to a circular shape upstream.

BPVFEA I currently dont have any FEA program to use for the stress analysis, thanks anyway.

I'm working right know in the design of the flange following a mix of examples on a J.H. Bickfords Gaskets and Gasketed Joints book, its based on Appendix 2 calculations taking some assumptions... Let's see what i work out of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back