Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recycle K. O. Drum 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kagadpencil

Mechanical
Jun 15, 2004
US
I am a rookie engineer. Following are my questions that came to my head as I was reading (studying) a DWG (sketch really) for a Recycle K. O. Drum involved in a refining project.

In a refining operation, what does Recycle K. O. Drum do?
I see a 12" manway on the DWG - Is it physically possible for a normal person to go in through such a small manway? - Or is it that provision of a manway does not always mean that someone always have to go in to the drum through it, it can may be used to get other internals in (such as mist pad)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

kagad-

Again, check with your senior engineers, but I'm still on lunch so...

KO drums typically knock out liquid from a mostly vapor stream. Various uses depending on the unit.

You didn't state what code the drum is being built to. However, I'd encourage you to take some cardboard, cut a 12" dia hole in it, put your hard hat on and climb through it. Should be entertaining for your co-workers. More seriously, if the vessel is built to VIII-1, check out UG-46. Chances are that the Code will require a manway, and in that case, the minimum is spelled out in UG-46(g)(1) as no less than 12" x 16" if obround or elliptical, and no less than 16" ID if round. I would again encourage you to climb through a 16" cutout in some cardboard. Most "normal" people don't climb through equipment manways, but typical refinery folks would not enjoy going through a 16" ID manway. You'll find that most clients specify a 18" minimum ID and prefer a 24" nominal. You'll be under cost pressure to provide the minimum, but try to push for the 24" nominal. Folks like me will thank you for it. Don't forget to provide some means of venting the vessel while I'm in it. A 6" nozzle opposite the manway (in the long direction of the vessel) will usually suffice.

jt

Following considerations:
1) you have very small amount of liquid coming along with the gas.This you can verify from the vessel spec, if you are rightly investigating.
2)the diameter of the vessel is essentially function of the vapor-liquid separation,(stokes' law).
3) the vessel may be made of nearest larger pipe size. If so, on the top it can have a handhole/manhole, just good enough to assemble the demister pad/mesh.
4) when was the vessel built? what codes it adhered? For a smaller dia-vessel you expect a handhole unless man-entry is required.

Hope this answered well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back