Red Rust on 316 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalman8357

Materials
Oct 5, 2012
US
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if red rust is possible on 316? I've received a few 316 bolts that were used in coastal applications and they appear to show some slight red rust residue between the 316 washer and 316 bolt, but besides this they appear to be structurally sound. My understanding is that 316 will not show red rust and will undergo pitting instead. I'm wondering if this is due to carbon steel rusting and contamination somewhere in the system, and rainwater brought it the interface between bolt and washer. Any input?

Thanks,
M

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It could be rust rushing onto them from another part.
Or it could be from iron contamination on the surface of the bolt or nut or washer.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

The bolt and washer are both stainless, and the material that the bolt is connecting two fiberglass panels. These are on the side of a building where iron contamination could be a possibility due to rainfall. My original question was asking if it is possible for 316 stainless to show red rusting.

Because you have indicated that no obsevable corrosion was evident, I would suspect that iron contamination of the bolts/washers was the culprit. Contamination could occur from machining, handling after machining, storage in steel canisters, tools used for bolt up, etc.

As long as oxygen and water are available, iron ions in the iron chloride corrodant solution can be precipitated out as rust.

If you have new hardware and you are curious, find some white Head and Shoulders shampoo.
Coat the hardware with a thin layer of shampoo and let it sit.
If you see any blue spots there is free iron on the surface.

Plymouth Tube

The active ingredient will complex with Fe. The reason that some H&S is blue is because it is made in plants with steel tubing and they need to dye it to compensate for the tinting.
This used to be a regional issues around the country, some places were white and others were blue.

Plymouth Tube

Is this a form of the ferroxyl test used for plating porosity? Its common to use copper sulphate also which will plate out copper as a test for steel or stainless.

Nick

Nick - since the ferroxyl test is one of the ferro-ferricyanide reaction variants, it certainly sounds like it. Ferricyanide reacting with ferrous ions to make Prussian blue (very early synthetic pigment)

I started wondering why there would be ferricyanide in a shampoo - and then I thought about calcium ions. Calcium ions interfere with the action of soaps and some detergents by precipitating out the soap (and building up "soap scum") - typically this is controlled by adding EDTA to shampoo, which will complex with the calcium ions and prevent binding elsewhere. However, I suspect ferricyanide would be more effective than EDTA at calcium control.

Hm.

The active ingredient is Zn Pyrithione, in this case the ligands are chelated to a Zn, not actually ionic bonding.
The presence of Fe changes the molecule form and hence its color.

Plymouth Tube

I love this thread. It made me chuckle. I love the idea of testing passivation on components using H&S!
I am already refered to as the mad scientist within my company. I do not need information like this, it will only add fuel to the fire! Now off to find some H&S!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back