Reduce concrete creep

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJMendes

Aerospace
Sep 18, 2024
PT
Hello there, I am new here [wavey]

I have a concrete slab resting on top of a glazed wall, and I’m worried about the effects of concrete creep and shrinkage. Would adding a steel profile (HEB beam) along one edge of the slab help reduce these effects? Are there other ways to minimize the creep deformation for these type of cases?

Thanks !

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just to make sure I understand, glazed = glass?
What seems to worry you, additional vertical deflection due to long term effects or something else? Because deflections can usually be controlled without using a steel beam.

When I say glazed, I’m referring to glass. My main concern is the vertical deflection over time caused by the concrete creep. Do you think adding a steel beam along one edge might not be the best solution for this issue?

It all depends on a specific case. It's hard to say more with the information that you provided. You should hire a structural engineer to calculate it.

If designing the slab the engineer would include the effects of creep and shrinkage in the deflection check. Usually at the top of glazing there is also some kind of movement joint which will allow a certain amount of vertical movement of the slab, such that the glass isn't loaded and does not crack. This joint provides lateral restraint to the glazing but no vertical restraint.

Are these the glass blocks that were popular in the 80s/90s?

If so, they will probably be strong enough to support the slab above if it deflects downwards.

If your question is just about steel beams being affected by creep, the answer is no. Steel deflects under load, but it doesn't creep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back