Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redundant Control Logix Processor IO configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

semilogical

Electrical
Jan 11, 2007
US
I've been working with Control Logix for about 2 years and now have a project requiring dual processors (One for Burner management and one for Process control). The system is redundant. I have specified the hardware and am now in the mode of starting to configure the software and tags.

I've done some remote I/O but mostly we end up with a single chassis which is a breeze to configure.

Any sample programs would be appreciated as well as any pointers to literature that would be pertinent.

Thanks ya'all

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When using redundant ControlLogix processors, all I/O is localated in "remote" racks. Typically the racks that contain the processors hold the power supply, processor, ControlNet bridge module, possibily an EtherNet bridge module and the redundancy SRM module. The two processor racks must be identical. The "remote" racks that contain your I/O will have a ControlNet bridge and what ever I/O modules.

You also have to be very specific with the hardware and firmware you use in a Redundant Controllogix system.

You need at least three publications to start with, which you can find just searching on the keywords "ControlLogix Redundancy" in the Rockwell Automation Literature website.

ControlLogix Redundancy System User Manual

ControlLogix Standard Redundancy 16.53 Release Notes

ControlLogix Enhanced Redundancy 16.80 Release Notes

Thanks guys, now I have a mountain of documentation to read and absorb before I start my project.

Are any of you aware of the differences between the SRM and RM Redundancy modules?

When I did the specification for the system we originally used the SRM module for the system. I have to use 2 CLX processors in one chassis so the RM module is the path I have to take. One processor is for a NFPA accepted burner management system and the second is the process controls that are used after the burners are up and ready.

The good news is that the project has dragged out so far that Rockwell has had time to update the firmware and modules to use dual processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back