Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reference 2D Drawing in 3D space Disappears if not work part

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkared

Automotive
Oct 14, 2009
US
We are creating a manufacturing line in 3 D using items from all over(Screws, Clamps, Weld guns, the usual stuff) all in 3D. We have a layout(which is constantly changing) from a 3rd party that is 2D IGES from Cadkey. We would like to "Lay the 2D drawings on the floor" and use it as reference as we go along creating the 3D line. When we bring it into the assembly, it disappears. It appears to be on layer 61. If you select it from the tree and make it the work part you can see it fine. Layer 61 is selectable and we have tried visible only. If it is not the work part, we can't see it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Possibly . . . make sure the reference set as "entire part".
rmc (right mouse click) component the the assembly navigator > replace reference set > entire part

What reference set is this component using? Is the geometry you want to see in this reference set? What layer options were in effect when the component was added (original or as specified)? Is the layer it was added to turned on in the assembly?

Yes the layer is turned on. I switched to reference set entire part-no difference. It was simply added to the assy, not in any specific reference set, at least not anything intentionally turned on or used.
Maybe the question should be, what would be the preferred method for doing something like this so there would be the greatest chance of success.

It's very possible that the 2D Geometry, since it was intended for use in Drafting, was created as 'view dependent' when it was imported into NX. When you open the 2D drawing as the Work part and you can see it and layer 61 is selectable go into the Drafting module, but toggle OFF the display of the drawing. Now go to...

Edit -> View -> View Dependent Edit...

...and select the 'View To Model' option in the section titled 'Convert Dependency' and when the next dialog comes up use the 'Select All' option to pick everything and hit OK. The 2D curves should now be visible in all views including the views used in the Assembly. Now you may still have to use the 'Entire Part' Reference Set in order to see the curves in the Assembly but I think this will resolve your problem.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

That did not work but we're in the ballparl I'll bet. It would not let me select any elements of the 2D knowmatter what. I can go back to scratch and do it right if I know what right is. I have a .dwg also that could be used although I think there are scaling problems with autocad.

Can I bring it into NX 2D drafting? There is an import option that says import NX-2D Imports NX 2D for use in 3D models That looks interesting

Got it. It was a combination of Load options entire part & reference set. I'm not sure what else I tried everything many times including recreating the files involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back