Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reference Book of U.S. Drawing Standards? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hygear

Mechanical
Apr 15, 2011
US
I am searching for a reference book to help get a Japanese manager (and engineer) up to speed with U.S. drawing standards and best practices. We have already given him a copy of ASME Y14.5M-2009 for understanding GD&T, but he wants a better understanding of best practices for different types of drawings. For example, from what I have seen in my career it is very common to create hydraulic hose drawings which reference all of the hose and hose end specs as well as the SAE J1754-2 characteristics(hose curvature, clocking angle, etc.). It has also been common in every company I work for to use multi-sheet drawings, BOM tables, exploded views, and cross-hatched section views.

The reason I am looking for this book is that our counterparts in Japan utilize a book for drawing standards which goes against pretty much everything that is standard in the United States and this manager has realized that we need to fix this problem. For example, the Japanese engineers are not allowed to use multi-sheet drawings and it is against the rules to use BOM tables (all part info is in the balloon), and cross section views. This makes for a drawing that is extremely difficult to understand and leads to tons of errors and problems.

Anyone know of a book that would help in this situation that would also build on ASME Y14.5M?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are several ASME standards that cover the subject matter. Y14.5 only covers dimensioning and tolerancing; Y14.100-2013 lists the rest of the pertinent standards.
There are also books that attempt to put it all together in one place, such as the Global Drawing Requirements Manual (concise) or the Genium Modern Drafting Practices and Standards Manual (huge).
Personally, I prefer to follow the standards themselves directly.

“Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively.”
-Dalai Lama XIV

Like ewh says, a lot of stuff is in other standards under Y14.100 series.

The standards & even the 2 DRM's he mentions don't have everything though and in my opinion are weak on details for assembly drawings in general.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

This is exactly what I am looking for. We are going to get a copy of Y14.100 and possibly the other supporting standards.

Y14.100 doesn't have that much in it itself - though I do suggest getting a copy as it has some nuggets.

Most of the 'meat' is in it's supporting standards. I've previously posted lists of which ones I use most frequently if it's of help.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

If you just want to quickly show the difference between two systems to the group of people, get the copy of the old NASA manual. They are legal to download from the Internet, are loosely based on ANSI/ASME set, and it's easier to carry them around from meeting to the meeting than the entire family of Y14.100 standards.

As you convince your bosses to "Americanize" their approach to drafting, introduce actual standard books:

You've already introduced them to Y14.5,

"better understanding of best practices for different types of drawings: - ASME Y14.24

"multi-sheet drawings, BOM tables, exploded views, and cross-hatched section views" - ASME Y14.1, ASME Y14.3, ASME Y14.34

Also ASME Y14.8 for castings, ASME Y14.6 for screw threads, etc, etc.

If you still looking for "one thick book", ewh's suggestion still valid: Global DRM, or Genium. Just keep in mind that both of them stuck around 2008 and there is a lot of stuff happening since 2009 both in ASME and ISO worlds.

The NASA manual is a good introduction, especially the text - but the illustrations included are a little "sloppy" (compared to ASME). Do not base drawings off of its examples unless you want to follow only that standard and not the ASME standards. There are many examples where it is in conflict with ASME (diameter and radius symbols after dimensions, single quantities in the general vicinity of multiple balloon callouts, section view definitions, inclusion of "CHAMFER" after chamfer dimension, mandatory flag symbol geometry, etc).

“Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively.”
-Dalai Lama XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back