Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reference dimension in design table

Status
Not open for further replies.

razzendahcuben

Mechanical
Jan 10, 2009
US
Is there no way to get a reference dimension in a design table? Basically I have want to include the dimension of a flat plattern in my design table, save out this design table, and then insert it into my drawing as a linked object. That way when my model changes the flat pattern length changes in this table in my drawing.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Open up the design table and then double click on the dimension. Or view the dimension name and add it to the design table by hand. DimensionName@Sketch## I hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

Thanks, though that is precisely the problem---you can't add reference dimensions by dbl clicking on them.

I just found that if you create the reference dimension before you create the design table then upon automatically creating the design table you will be given the option to add the reference dimension.

If you create new configs you do not need to fill in the ref dim values, SW fortunately knows to fill them in automatically.

One difficulty I see, however, is that the reference dimension will reference the flat pattern only when in flatten mode, otherwise it seems to arbitrarily reference a different portion of the length.

You will need to insert the DT directly to the drawing to maintain associativity. Saving out the DT (as Excel or similar) will break association with the model.

Indeed, I didn't list all of the steps. After saving out the design table, delete the design table and re-insert it, this time from the file previously saved. Select the link to file checkbox. Also the design table is inserted as a new object from file the Link checkbox must be checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back